The Hurling Thread

There are a clutch of teams like ballyphehame, Lough rovers, rochestown for example who struggle but field teams at their level, but they have no underage groupings, these clubs are important as they field teams at junior b/c levels and give fellas games. Mayfield and Dillon’s are rebuilding their underage, passage are flying it and continuously developing our grounds with a strong underage and importantly a growing ladies section and a big bonus of population to support growth. White church are doing ok I think and if they get to a city final have a good chance of winning. Not sure about other teams but there is massive work being done in a lot of clubs, many recovering, some growing but others in essence the same as they have been for years and years and there is little investment can be done for in those cases, what I suppose I mean is these clubs have been hanging on for years, unfortunately redmonds are gone but I don’t know if anyone else is heading that way yet
We got there in the end but I was a little dramatic with my hanging by a thread comment 😀

I’d agree broadly with what your saying here, Passage are putting in the work underage and have grown the club and secured their future. Any club that doesn’t be they Senior or Junior B will pay the price down the line

Last edited:
In Avondhu/Duhallow, we are a massively big area with only one GDA covering that area. Remember Araglen to Knocknagree is 88kms from each other (a 90 minute drive). That is too much for one man to cover, especially considering there is 6+ towns in that area and a good few clubs struggling to survive.

I think there should be a GDA specific for Mallow Town. A population of 12,500 people with 3 secondary schools and 9 or 10 primary schools and still only able to field one team at each underage grade. Mallow has a good GAA tradition but their playing base is actually quite small. They have a fine complex so the potential is there to make them compete with the city clubs if given the help needed. This GDA can cover clubs like Clyda Rovers and Kilshannig too. In fairness both of those clubs would not need much help.

I would also assign a GDA to Fermoy and Mitchelstown. Both clubs seemed to have a relatively successful last 6 or 7 years but you'd love to tap into the potential of Mitchelstown CBS and St. Colmans as well as St. Fanahans, Loreto, Pres and Coláiste an Craomhín and have a dedicated GDA to work on those schools and clubs. And obviously you could get this GDA to cover clubs like Ballygiblin, Kilworth and Araglen too.

Charleville/Buttevant should also have a dedicated GDA with Charleville CBS, St Mary's, Coláiste Mhuire Buttevant and the primary schools. This GDA could also cover clubs like Ballyhea, Newtownshandrum, LC Gaels, Milford and Dromina.

Another GDA should cover clubs in the centre of Avondhu such as Doneraile, Shanballymore, Ballyclough, Killavullen, Castletownroche, Kildorrery and Glanworth. A lot of clubs in this part of the region would be struggling and need every help they can get.

I would then assign 2 GDAs for Duhallow, one for Duhallow East and one for Duhallow West.

In an ideal world I would have 6 full time GDAs in the Avondhu/Duhallow area.

I'm sure ye can speak for other divisions in the county.

In Avondhu/Duhallow, we are a massively big area with only one GDA covering that area. Remember Araglen to Knocknagree is 88kms from each other (a 90 minute drive). That is too much for one man to cover, especially considering there is 6+ towns in that area and a good few clubs struggling to survive.

I think there should be a GDA specific for Mallow Town. A population of 12,500 people with 3 secondary schools and 9 or 10 primary schools and still only able to field one team at each underage grade. Mallow has a good GAA tradition but their playing base is actually quite small. They have a fine complex so the potential is there to make them compete with the city clubs if given the help needed. This GDA can cover clubs like Clyda Rovers and Kilshannig too. In fairness both of those clubs would not need much help.

I would also assign a GDA to Fermoy and Mitchelstown. Both clubs seemed to have a relatively successful last 6 or 7 years but you'd love to tap into the potential of Mitchelstown CBS and St. Colmans as well as St. Fanahans, Loreto, Pres and Coláiste an Craomhín and have a dedicated GDA to work on those schools and clubs. And obviously you could get this GDA to cover clubs like Ballygiblin, Kilworth and Araglen too.

Charleville/Buttevant should also have a dedicated GDA with Charleville CBS, St Mary's, Coláiste Mhuire Buttevant and the primary schools. This GDA could also cover clubs like Ballyhea, Newtownshandrum, LC Gaels, Milford and Dromina.

Another GDA should cover clubs in the centre of Avondhu such as Doneraile, Shanballymore, Ballyclough, Killavullen, Castletownroche, Kildorrery and Glanworth. A lot of clubs in this part of the region would be struggling and need every help they can get.

I would then assign 2 GDAs for Duhallow, one for Duhallow East and one for Duhallow West.

In an ideal world I would have 6 full time GDAs in the Avondhu/Duhallow area.

I'm sure ye can speak for other divisions in the county.
Do clubs have to look at appointing GDAs themselves to cover their own areas? Or even shares costs with other clubs. Na Piarsaigh are currently recruiting one for themselves and the primary schools in the area, part time 25 hrs a week.

The iss
Do clubs have to look at appointing GDAs themselves to cover their own areas? Or even shares costs with other clubs. Na Piarsaigh are currently recruiting one for themselves and the primary schools in the area, part time 25 hrs a week.
The issue is Cork only have 6 or 7 GDAs covering the whole county. That’s an astonishing figure by any standards

What should be happening is the County Board and the clubs should be coming together to appoint somewhere in the region of 50 to 100 GDAs. Clubs would have to contribute financially which is where the problem lies, a lot wouldn’t be able to

The GPA has 2500 members. Has 10
Full time staff. Turnover of 7.5 million if am correct with the sport Ireland grant and tax payer money along with the GAA deal .
2500 members would account imo for the Glen Rockies and Barr’s alone.
Easy enough math even for a magpie.
They don’t care and never will. It’s all about the elitism at the top and trips and a jolly.
I said this before when Hank the expert asked me something about the GPA ( he hasn’t a clue) but I told him it’s worse than John Delaney and the FAi and I will stand by it till curly toes but nobody will investigate because it’s an embarrassment to everyone.
100 euro training top for a Limerick team holiday sponsered by a billionaire but that’s the way I suppose.
Meelin makes an All Ireland not many years ago now has to pair up with Freemount Called St Mary’s and you all are living in a different place than I am if you don’t see the decline happening.
It’s happening every where and every attendance are down
I enjoyed the debate and JF I am delighted you’re club is doing well and expanding.
Bork North Cork Star and R&B have so many great thoughts and sense in t posts that even it got the ODT thinking about it was the GDA question.
Baseball in the States was the national game then the NBA was big but now it’s the NFL but that’s a huge money audience and income.
The GAA is local and tribal but it’s changed because of maybe the demographics like JF pointed out but also the effect of people can’t be dismissed with the rise of clubs like Fr O Neil’s Bride Rovers and others.
The game is split within itself now because it’s foundation has been not the same. Croke Park has faltered but the GPA has gotten way outa hand with regards to funding and a proven entity that was set up maybe for the correct intentions but is now just a joke of folly trips to Fenway Park which will cost whom but the amateur player trying to make it home from college to play or train with his club.
I would much more see the money going that way in free travel passes or petrol grants going toward young players than a million people simply that don’t care or understand the game in Boston.
2500 members 75 million and wanted more and more.
You do the math and please please tell me something I am missing on the GPA

Full time staff. Turnover of 7.5 million if am correct with the sport Ireland grant and tax payer money along with the GAA deal .
They don’t care and never will. It’s all about the elitism at the top and trips and a jolly.
I said this before when Hank the expert asked me something about the GPA ( he hasn’t a clue) but I told him it’s worse than John Delaney and the FAi and I will stand by it till curly toes but nobody will investigate because it’s an embarrassment to everyone.
100 euro training top for a Limerick team holiday sponsered by a billionaire but that’s the way I suppose.
Meelin makes an All Ireland not many years ago now has to pair up with Freemount Called St Mary’s and you all are living in a different place than I am if you don’t see the decline happening.
I enjoyed the debate and JF I am delighted you’re club is doing well and expanding.
Bork North Cork Star and R&B have so many great thoughts and sense in t posts that even it got the ODT thinking about it was the GDA question.
Baseball in the States was the national game then the NBA was big but now it’s the NFL but that’s a huge money audience and income.
The GAA is local and tribal but it’s changed because of maybe the demographics like JF pointed out but also the effect of people can’t be dismissed with the rise of clubs like Fr O Neil’s Bride Rovers and others.
The game is split within itself now because it’s foundation has been not the same. Croke Park has faltered but the GPA has gotten way outa hand with regards to funding and a proven entity that was set up maybe for the correct intentions but is now just a joke of folly trips to Fenway Park which will cost whom but the amateur player trying to make it home from college to play or train with his club.
I would much more see the money going that way in free travel passes or petrol grants going toward young players than a million people simply that don’t care or understand the game in Boston.
No hurling man could argue with you....whatever club or county

2.5 million each be a grand sum for the big 3 fin 😀

Seriously though, imagine what the clubs could do with 7.5 million, you go to any club, even your own small magpies, and see what they build for their kids, for their future, that would be a really positive way of using the elitist money and we would have tangible benefits straight away. But no, the sacred cow must be fed

Ye know lads of course that the gpa members generate the vast amount of gaa funds that over 80% of cascade down to clubs anyway?
So giving the gpa 7.5 million to continue to have intercounty players play and promote the organisation is an investment in generating funds for clubs……take it away and see what happens

Ye know lads of course that the gpa members generate the vast amount of gaa funds that over 80% of cascade down to clubs anyway?
So giving the gpa 7.5 million to continue to have intercounty players play and promote the organisation is an investment in generating funds for clubs……take it away and see what happens
You do realise there were full houses in Croke Park long before the GPA even dreamt about their first dollar 😀

Posting this in the hope of generating arguments against and debate rather than ridicule. Free taking is a huge part of the modern game perhaps to the detriment of scores from general play. You now regularly see frees scored from within the taker's own half. The amount of wasted by players lining up frees and travelling long distances to take long range frees is considerable. Would a rule requiring the fouled player to take the free address some of these issues? This rule would not apply to penalties. Less accomplished free takers may be more inclined to keep the ball in play rather than shooting for scores, less time would be lost to free taking routines and matches are more likely to be won by teams that are better able to score from play. Some issues would need to be ironed out such as what would be the position with technical frees eg over-carrying , picking off the ground etc. Could also encourage more fouling if the penalty of conceding a score is less likely. Madness or worth considering?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼