The Hurling Thread

Nothing will come of this - by all accounts he is a thoroughly decent chap and does a lot for charities and people in need. Been blown out of proportion cause of jealousy.
Proven right on this one. A number of so called experts on this forum saying he was guilty and would do time. A little education on the law would not go amiss.
Hayes will be bigger and better next year.

I think it is bonkers to talk about clubs versus county teams. Ballygunner have consistently the best Munster record since the round robin. Waterford have consistently the worst record. Its a similar arguement to the "Kilkenny B team would beat many teams " back in the golden Kilkenny era and this was not true. Ballygunner are a brilliant club side. However any straightforward analysis might argue that a dominant club team does not lead to county success. St Thomas in Galway........Ballymacarbry in Waterford also.......

Ballygunner were outstanding today, albeit Clonlara weren't great but the Gunners have been overpowering almost every team they play for the last 5 years. Their 2nd goal today was a move a Limerick team in their prime would be proud of. Flawless hurling.

I think the debate that Ballygunner would beat most intercounty teams is a fun debate. It is the ultimate compliment of a club team when being compared to an intercounty team. To add to this debate, I would love to see Ballygunner play the rest of Waterford XV in a match. It would be a close game.

For Waterford hurling, once Davy Fitz's tenure is over, Ballygunner manager Darragh O' Sullivan is surely odds on favourite to take over, if he wants it. I think Waterford senior hurling panel needs a more of a Ballygunner stamp than they currently have.

And on club success correlating to county success, it doesn't really match up most of the time. For example, Ballygunner winning at club level hasn't had any positive effect on their county's success. It probably has had the opposite effect as the county championship is a foregone conclusion every year. From a Cork point of view though, there is a correlation. We haven't won a club All Ireland since 2004. We haven't won a senior intercounty All Ireland since 2005. When we were winning club All Irelands in the 70s, 80s and 90s, we were winning intercounty All Irelands. Our club championship has been well under par for the last 10 years or more. Club coaching and player development needs to be looked at.

Ballygunner were outstanding today, albeit Clonlara weren't great but the Gunners have been overpowering almost every team they play for the last 5 years. Their 2nd goal today was a move a Limerick team in their prime would be proud of. Flawless hurling.

I think the debate that Ballygunner would beat most intercounty teams is a fun debate. It is the ultimate compliment of a club team when being compared to an intercounty team. To add to this debate, I would love to see Ballygunner play the rest of Waterford XV in a match. It would be a close game.

For Waterford hurling, once Davy Fitz's tenure is over, Ballygunner manager Darragh O' Sullivan is surely odds on favourite to take over, if he wants it. I think Waterford senior hurling panel needs a more of a Ballygunner stamp than they currently have.

And on club success correlating to county success, it doesn't really match up most of the time. For example, Ballygunner winning at club level hasn't had any positive effect on their county's success. It probably has had the opposite effect as the county championship is a foregone conclusion every year. From a Cork point of view though, there is a correlation. We haven't won a club All Ireland since 2004. We haven't won a senior intercounty All Ireland since 2005. When we were winning club All Irelands in the 70s, 80s and 90s, we were winning intercounty All Irelands. Our club championship has been well under par for the last 10 years or more. Club coaching and player development needs to be looked at.
Darragh o Sullivan turned down the county job

Darragh o Sullivan turned down the county job
Think that might be true but I’d say he might have a cut after Davy finishes up this season.

Ballygunner were phenomenal in that second quarter - made Clonlara look like a junior team. Mad how Waterford have often only had 1 player (dessie) from this team in a bunch of games over the last year or two. Philip Mahony and o’keefe are definitely amongst the top players in their respective positions in the country. O’keefe in particular covers up what is their weakest line and saves 2 to 3 goal chances in most games, they would have got knocked out of Waterford a couple of times except for him.

They have 3 or 4 superb minors coming through in the next 2 years also, Conor Tobin in the forwards + a defender who is a nephew of Noel Hickey, excellent player.

Have to agree that some of their hurling yesterday was simply outrageous. I’m particularly in awe of their forwards - always seem to be a yard ahead of their marker, more than capable of winning / fighting for dirty ball. They constantly give their defenders an option when exiting with the ball. I can’t figure out how other teams can’t get their forwards working like BG. Top top team.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stolen (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

27th Feb 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

All Tvvins

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼