The Hurling Thread

Great game today. KK brought huge fight and goals. They are some county for hurling

Imagine going in 3 points up at halftime in an all Ireland and then conceding 21 points in the second half 😂

Cian Lynch central to limerick today. He’s a joy to watch. One of the greatest to ever play the game. Simple passes left and right. It’s no coincidence they are back beating teams out the gate again when he is at 11.

Peter Casey tormented KK too. Wry under rated player

One of the Limerick points today as they turned around the match in the second half involved four or five handpasses around the 65s before the scorer slotted the shot over. Call me old-fashioned but that is not the kind of hurling I want to see. Likewise, scoring points from close to your own 45. A team sport should see the ball being worked through the lines with the forwards doing the finishing. Basketballers, Gaelic footballers and soccer players rarely score from their own half and that is how it should be. The powers-that-be will say that high scoring makes the sport more attractive but I much preferred when 15 to 20 scores likely won you the match. And this is not an anti-Treaty treatise but a general complaint of where hurling is. It's become rather boring.

One of the Limerick points today as they turned around the match in the second half involved four or five handpasses around the 65s before the scorer slotted the shot over. Call me old-fashioned but that is not the kind of hurling I want to see. Likewise, scoring points from close to your own 45. A team sport should see the ball being worked through the lines with the forwards doing the finishing. Basketballers, Gaelic footballers and soccer players rarely score from their own half and that is how it should be. The powers-that-be will say that high scoring makes the sport more attractive but I much preferred when 15 to 20 scores likely won you the match. And this is not an anti-Treaty treatise but a general complaint of where hurling is. It's become rather boring.
Oh please. That second half performance today was just scintillating stuff. Their ability to elude tackles with little pop passes and fantastic footwork is off the charts and allied to that you have their incredible accuracy from play and placed balls. It was balletic there at times today and KK were just onlookers at times. And I haven't mentioned their aerial ability, (well I have now) which is also off the charts. It was just sensational.

Oh please. That second half performance today was just scintillating stuff. Their ability to elude tackles with little pop passes and fantastic footwork is off the charts and allied to that you have their incredible accuracy from play and placed balls. It was balletic there at times today and KK were just onlookers at times. And I haven't mentioned their aerial ability, (well I have now) which is also off the charts. It was just sensational.
As I said, not a critique of zlimerick. At least tippy-tappy involved predominant use of the hurley. And folks don't go to hurling matches to watch ballet.

As I said, not a critique of zlimerick. At least tippy-tappy involved predominant use of the hurley. And folks don't go to hurling matches to watch ballet.
I used the adjective to describe the grace with which the likes of lynch, morrissey, Hayes, hegarty, gillane etc all big men can adapt and escape tight spots but you knew that, didn't you.! Anyway you're not happy with things, so be it. If you were in Croker today I'd bet you'd feel differently about it. It was brillant.

What a performance from Limerick in the second half. Guided by the maestro that is Cian Lynch. Back to his best. He is the key difference in my view of Limerick’s performances in Munster and their showing yesterday. His long term injury gave the rest a bit more of a chance. He brought players into the match who looked to be drifting by handing them easy points.

When the great KK team of 2006/2009 won their fourth title they were pushed all the way. The end looked nigh. No sign of that yesterday. Nobody is invincible and whether Limerick can keep the motivation levels up remains to be seen but that was awesome. Congrats to Limerick people everywhere.

Thought Donal Og stuck the knife into Kilkenny in Sunday Game. First statement that Kilkenny offered poor resistance overall to Limerick today, and second questioning their lack of success in recent underage hurling. Noticed he stared at Jackie Tyrrell as he was making his points.., obviously relishing the demise of Kilkenny. I must admit it was satisfying seeing Kilkenny get a taste of their own medicine!
Can he not let bygones be bygones, when you compare his attitude to that of Sean Og and his recent interview on OTB with reference to that Kilkenny team . One is a man the other a nasty little weasel.

Agree with some of this. The game is losing many of its skills, ground hurling, doubling up and do you ever get the clash of the ash now. There are far too many handpasses for my liking. Bring in a heavier sliotar to stop the 100 metre points?

Not a final for the ages or anything like it but delighted to see KK smashed out the gates :)

the first half was one of the poorest halves of hurling I’ve seen in a while, all physicality and light on hurling, but once Limerick got the juggernaut going they absolutely destroyed KK in every line - they’re some team. I knew Lynch would be instrumental yesterday, he owed them one for a poor year overall.. what a hurler. Casey put on an astounding show of scoring as well, Byrnes has to be played of the year.. I think he had 8 points from half back yesterday!

Hats off to Limerick, over to Pat Ryan now to find a way.. Rebels Abu :)

Not a final for the ages or anything like it but delighted to see KK smashed out the gates :)

the first half was one of the poorest halves of hurling I’ve seen in a while, all physicality and light on hurling, but once Limerick got the juggernaut going they absolutely destroyed KK in every line - they’re some team. I knew Lynch would be instrumental yesterday, he owed them one for a poor year overall.. what a hurler. Casey put on an astounding show of scoring as well, Byrnes has to be played of the year.. I think he had 8 points from half back yesterday!

Hats off to Limerick, over to Pat Ryan now to find a way.. Rebels Abu :)
I thought the first 50 minutes was a very good game. I really enjoyed the heavy hits and physical battle.

Limerick gave a second half performance for the ages. Nobody would have lived with them yesterday. Cork will hopefully make progress next year but I wouldn’t want to be playing Limerick in Croke Park before you have to. They’re almost unbeatable up there.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kinds Of Kindness (18)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 3:30pm

More events ▼