The Hurling Thread

Its bad enough clowns from Rugby pumping out this sh1te without lads who claim to be gaa vomiting out this sewerage.

as recently as last weekend a new zealand player didnt even get a yellow for a tackle to the head. on top of that he was coming in from offside to cheat and he used his shoulder
nothing at all. I presume the fucker isnt even cited since
will you go away out of that with your nonsense
there was bugger all in the armagh thing other than the eye gouge and the lad who hit him a slap for it
The rest of the commentary is hysterics about lads pushing and shoving
so what

The increasingly violent thing is so bloody bizarre it suggests you never picked up a hurley in your life or else you are 12.

I got belts in hurling matchs 30 years ago on and off the ball that you would get a red card for on the spot now and no one got anything

It was a thugs paradise half the time.

The game my children (teenagers) play is unrecognisable from the game i played in terms of its safety and I played at a time when the game was significantly cleaner than the game my father played in the 50s and 60s and its a wonderful spectacle as a result

If shane o donnell got the belt he received last year in training in the 90s he would have had water poured on his head and played on , the headaches would be put down to a bad hangover from the drink at the weekend and he wouldnt have missed a game

cop on with the hysterics

Discipline standards change in 30 years shocka! :rolleyes:

That was a brutal watch
we were just awful
flat all day but kilkennys rection speed to ball on the ground crisp hurling and sheer speed and intelligence of movement was crushing
we never got near them
never hit any of them a belt took on crazy shots

we looked dead

The worst part being that we hit wides when there was gaping holes in front of the kilkenny defence to run into and we made bad choices

Kilkenny will take beating and i think limerick will carry the ball at them
They are ferocious but they are fairly average size wise for a kilkenny team
Limerick do look off their bst through and that key morrissey lynch hegarty engine room is not going to win the game

Both morrisseys are not playing well and donovan was really poor

Its bad enough clowns from Rugby pumping out this sh1te without lads who claim to be gaa vomiting out this sewerage.

as recently as last weekend a new zealand player didnt even get a yellow for a tackle to the head. on top of that he was coming in from offside to cheat and he used his shoulder
nothing at all. I presume the fucker isnt even cited since
will you go away out of that with your nonsense
there was bugger all in the armagh thing other than the eye gouge and the lad who hit him a slap for it
The rest of the commentary is hysterics about lads pushing and shoving
so what

The increasingly violent thing is so bloody bizarre it suggests you never picked up a hurley in your life or else you are 12.

I got belts in hurling matchs 30 years ago on and off the ball that you would get a red card for on the spot now and no one got anything

It was a thugs paradise half the time.

The game my children (teenagers) play is unrecognisable from the game i played in terms of its safety and I played at a time when the game was significantly cleaner than the game my father played in the 50s and 60s and its a wonderful spectacle as a result

If shane o donnell got the belt he received last year in training in the 90s he would have had water poured on his head and played on , the headaches would be put down to a bad hangover from the drink at the weekend and he wouldnt have missed a game

cop on with the hysterics

Agree in part. I think because lads are bigger and the game is faster people tend to mistake it being more physical, for it being dangerous. I personally don't think it's dangerous.

There was a tackle by one of the Galway lads on Mulcahy at the weekend, caught him in the head. No problem with that, fair enough it's a free. Don't think the Galway player meant to aim for the head. Mulcahy is small, nippy and ducked into it a bit to get away or at least draw a foul. My problem is with what exactly the Galway player wanted to do. He ran full speed at him with his arms out. Had Mulcahy not ducked or dodged it and stood still even, it would've been a rugby tackle. Wish i could find a clip of it to explain better. But that tackle of the front of the shoulder and arm slightly out to a player running towards you is fierce annoying to watch. Breaks the players momentum and any mistiming by the defender looks like a clothesline or a "round the neck" tackle.

Agree in part. I think because lads are bigger and the game is faster people tend to mistake it being more physical, for it being dangerous. I personally don't think it's dangerous.

There was a tackle by one of the Galway lads on Mulcahy at the weekend, caught him in the head. No problem with that, fair enough it's a free. Don't think the Galway player meant to aim for the head. Mulcahy is small, nippy and ducked into it a bit to get away or at least draw a foul. My problem is with what exactly the Galway player wanted to do. He ran full speed at him with his arms out. Had Mulcahy not ducked or dodged it and stood still even, it would've been a rugby tackle. Wish i could find a clip of it to explain better. But that tackle of the front of the shoulder and arm slightly out to a player running towards you is fierce annoying to watch. Breaks the players momentum and any mistiming by the defender looks like a clothesline or a "round the neck" tackle.

you have to allow that or else it becomes hockey.
Those are the terms of engagement

are you a bit dim?
The statement i responded to was the claim that gaa is becoming increasingly violent. is it simplicity or attention span i am contending with here?

I've already said that comparisons with other sports are neither here nor there.

What is evident is that the disciplinary procedures in GAA are just becoming totally unfit for purpose.

For Tiernan Kelly to escape a ban for any Armagh championship match after gouging Comer was a joke.

We've already had three high profile suspensions in this years hurling championship overturned on technicalities.

You either have rules and a working disciplinary system or you let it become a free for all where fellas know they can effectively do as they like and escape proper censure.

Your 'its a mans game' spiel is all too typical of the look the other way approach to disciplinary issues.

It seems to me we will just have to wait for the inevitable, a player getting a serious injury before the current no mans land of the tackle in hurling is looked at.

On Midlands 103 radio Offaly men are saying it is a shoulder in the back and not a trip
i think it's a dive....makes little odds to me
Tough on young lads
Lets put it this way, if the ref had given a free out to Offaly, would there have been serious objections ? I really don't think so.
In my opinion it was the refs only glaring error. He otherwise had a fine match.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Roscoe

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:30pm

More events ▼