The Hurling Thread

Kilkenny will be licking their lips for a cut off Limerick after today

Limerick with their poorest performance of the year which might be a good thing as they will know that wont be good enough to win another final

Hopefully after today Mulcahy will be put out to pasture. Works hard but not a scoring threat anymore

Reidy off the bench with 3 points was impressive

Casey and Lynch struggeld to make an impact whish was to be expected. Cant see either starting the final

Nash had a fine game and the likes of Byrnes, Hayes, Gillane probably the stand out performers for Limerick

Casey caught badly for the goal and Tom Morrisey had his worst game in years. Flanagan and Hegarty started well but didnt hit a ball after the first 10 mins

Midfield has been a problem all year. O Donovan well off form and O donoghue not up to his usual standard either

No. They met their best opposition of the year. Lot of rubbish sponged here about Galway being beaten by "a cricket score" - they haven't lost a championship game by more than 5 points since 2016. Limerick weren't brilliant today but got a good sharpener ahead of the final. If they hit any kind of form, like last year, they'll put 10+ on Kilkenny.

The football was cut and dried last week and the guilty party still walked away effectively scot free. GAA has a discipline problem.
100%
Top level GAA in general is becoming like UFC. Not just with the melees, but with the type of tackling in general.
There must be about 20 televised incidents a year now of lads getting full-force shoulders into the head.
I'm seriously thinking about sending my kids to other sports, with the way GAA is going. Its becoming dog rough.
Lads talk about players 'needing a bit of divilment' and 'needing to be the aggressors', etc. Its that kind of talk and culture that leads to what happened between Galway and Armagh.
These are amateur games at the end of the end of the day, but becoming increasingly violent.
GAA need to curtail it now before it gets any worse.
Rugby is one of the toughest games going, but with a culture of very high-discipline ingrained into players from a young age, and zero-tolerance now for any head/neck contact. GAA seems to be teaching the opposite to young players.

100%
Top level GAA in general is becoming like UFC. Not just with the melees, but with the type of tackling in general.
There must be about 20 televised incidents a year now of lads getting full-force shoulders into the head.
I'm seriously thinking about sending my kids to other sports, with the way GAA is going. Its becoming dog rough.
Lads talk about players 'needing a bit of divilment' and 'needing to be the aggressors', etc. Its that kind of talk and culture that leads to what happened between Galway and Armagh.
These are amateur games at the end of the end of the day, but becoming increasingly violent.
GAA need to curtail it now before it gets any worse.
Rugby is one of the toughest games going, but with a culture of very high-discipline ingrained into players from a young age, and zero-tolerance now for any head/neck contact. GAA seems to be teaching the opposite to young players.
I agree with you in regards of looking after players and the dangers of the game but Kyle Hayes didn’t do anything wrong and maybe Limerick are getting targeted because they are a great team like the Cats were and I will ask you one honest question.
Johnny Sexton has has had how many concussion protocol measures to pass in his playing career?
I would say even himself has more than any GAa team collectively in the past 10 years .
To me that’s dangerous!!

No. They met their best opposition of the year. Lot of rubbish sponged here about Galway being beaten by "a cricket score" - they haven't lost a championship game by more than 5 points since 2016. Limerick weren't brilliant today but got a good sharpener ahead of the final. If they hit any kind of form, like last year, they'll put 10+ on Kilkenny.
I don’t see your logic there.
Kilkenny lost by a point in Salthill . Kilkenny beat them in the Leinster final. Cork should have beaten them and they played well against Limerick but Kilkenny beat a Clare team out the gap which also played very well against Limerick.
I certainly don’t see a 10pt win for Limerick based on form. I hope Limerick win but I can’t see 10 pts

I agree with you in regards of looking after players and the dangers of the game but Kyle Hayes didn’t do anything wrong and maybe Limerick are getting targeted because they are a great team like the Cats were and I will ask you one honest question.
Johnny Sexton has has had how many concussion protocol measures to pass in his playing career?
I would say even himself has more than any GAa team collectively in the past 10 years .
To me that’s dangerous!!
Agree on the Kyle Hayes incident. See my previous post. Looks accidental to me.
Ya Jonny Sexton is an interesting comparison. But note the following:
--Rugby is a far more legally physical sport.
--Johnny plays, and tackles in such a way that he definitely increases his risk of head hits.
--There are heavy punishments for any wreckless contact around the head or neck by opposition players. Accidental or not, its a red card. And its a rule that is actually implemented.
--HIA was also introduced to help protect players.
--Johnny is a full-time professional, which allows him the best of treatment facilities and recovery he needs.

Neither hurling or football are a game of rugby, and were never intended to be. But they are getting more and more violent, dirty, and aggressive.
Nothing wrong with a tough shoulder, once its into an opponents shoulder.
But what often qualifies as 'tackling' today is:
-- A shoulder to the front, back, head.
-- one arm holding a player
-- Both arms wrapped around a player
-- Sneaky jersey pulling
-- Tripping
-- Running across another players run path to take them down
-- Rugby tackling
-- Flick of hurley to head
-- Hurley around neck
-- Hurley flick on opponents arms/hands
-- clothslining

Sometimes a free is given, but 80% of the time there's no free.
And thats just the tackling. Thats before we look at the proper dirty stuff like punching, elbowing, stamping, hurly jabs, hurley swings, gouging, fish hooking, all out free-for-alls.

In defense of the players, it is a case of eat or be eaten, dog-eat-dog. They need to succumb and engage in the above culture of play in order to survive, and compete on the pitch. Because the GAA are not doing anything about punishing this behaviour, implementing the rules properly, and ending the culture of cyncicism and violence. It's left to the players to fend for themselves.
Its a disgrace. Those in high-level positions in GAA, and media (mainly RTE) should hang their heads in shame.

As good as Hayes was at 11 yesterday - Limerick are a far better team with him at 7 and Cian Lynch at 11.

If Limerick don’t improve the final is 50:50.
Kilkenny have improved as the season has gone on and have forwards in fine form.

Cody Mullen TJ Walsh Keoghan are a fine set of forwards capable of getting 3/4 goals in a game

Will be a great final.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Souldriven

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼