The Gaelic Football Thread

im a ruthless manager win a win at all cost mentality what the Gaa did last night is give me permission to get someone on my extended panel to take out the opponents best player at half time. knowing that our lad will suffer little
The CCCC are cowards when it comes to serious sanctions

A one year ban would have covered championship games from the date of the offence and that's what they should have done.
The problem for the GAA in their wisdom is that 10 years ago they mixed the system with time and match bans.
There are five categories of offences, 1,2 and 3 are covered by match bans and his offence as far as I can see doesn't fall in those. Category 4 and 5 which carry time suspensions are only related to attacks/abuse of match officials.
Previously as well, if you gave a player a ban for a certain no. of Championship games it would be unequal - a Cork or Kerry player is potentially ruled out until the All-Ireland final, while for a lot Leinster teams, 4 games only rules you out of the Leinster Championship.
However with the new format for 2023 everyone is in the same boat.

But there'll be controversy over what should happen for suspensions arising in the 2023 provincial Championship - a ban for the 2023 and 2024 provincial Championship or ban for the completely separate round-robin for Sam Maguire/Tailteann Cip

To me 6 months is a suitable suspension for what he did.

Missing his club championship so it's them will suffer rather than Armagh, but it will hit home with him when his friends and club mates will be without him

Armagh’s Conor Turbitt and Blaine Hughes and Galway’s Cathal Sweeney have all received one-match bans.

In order words, Sweeney gets the heaviest punishment, suspended for the semi-final.

Turbitt and Hughes, get the next heaviest punishment, miss one game.

Kelly gets off scot free as far as intercounty level is concerned.

Armagh’s Conor Turbitt and Blaine Hughes and Galway’s Cathal Sweeney have all received one-match bans.

In order words, Sweeney gets the heaviest punishment, suspended for the semi-final.

Turbitt and Hughes, get the next heaviest punishment, miss one game.

Kelly gets off scot free as far as intercounty level is concerned.
If he appeals he will get off (if it's contributing to a melee). You remember the Tyrone/Armagh fight earlier in the year, Tyrone took the suspensions but Armagh appealed theirs and won on the basis that the GAA have not clarified what constitutes a melee and to date, they still haven't.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

24th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼