The Future of Cork's Quaysides?

What I want to know is where exactly is the public realm for "lounging" and dining etc?

Looks like we are following the exact same mistakes of Dublin and cramming all residentual and commercial together with no spaces for bars, cafes, restaurants

cork-apartments.jpg

I honestly thought that was one of those funny images edited for the net.

This is the equivalent of pleasing both camps - there would have been a boardroom meeting and one side saying "WE NEED TO MAINTAIN THE OLD HISTORY"..

The architect nods,

The other side of the room - "WE NEED TO BE PROGRESSIVE, modernise the building, all glass"

The architect nods, clicks his fingers *

Eureka - I've got it, how about Old / meets new!
(Reaches over, takes the model of glass building and places on the old model).
There's silence in the room. The a slow clap, clap, clap ,clap .
He's a genius.

The architect calmly smiles. (I know he thinks, I know).

The End.

This is the equivalent of pleasing both camps - there would have been a boardroom meeting and one side saying "WE NEED TO MAINTAIN THE OLD HISTORY"..

The architect nods,

The other side of the room - "WE NEED TO BE PROGRESSIVE, modernise the building, all glass"

He's a genius.

The End.

Hehehe

The architect nods,

He's a genius.

The End.

There's nothing worse than the Boots/Apple offices building on half moon street (behind opera house) pretty raping the old building on the quay. How a group of professionals sat down and thought that was the best option is beggars belief.

Thing is I do kind of agree with modernising building designs/ materials. If you look at any sped up timeline of a city growing. Or look at a pic of New York now. v New York 1900s,the modern one jumps out as far better in my eyes. Its progress and clearly more advanced material, better insulated too prob, more structurally sound, easier to build etc...

Its with that material though, what do you build, what shape do you make? Curved, helix, box, box in a box.. the architect needs to get inventive, be progressive, but can't just obliterate whats in the vicinity.

They do it with old cottages, where the old part may get extended, and it needs to blend nicely. That above does not blend nicely.

Thing is I do kind of agree with modernising building designs/ materials. If you look at any sped up timeline of a city growing. Or look at a pic of New York now. v New York 1900s,the modern one jumps out as far better in my eyes. Its progress and clearly more advanced material, better insulated too prob, more structurally sound, easier to build etc...

Its with that material though, what do you build, what shape do you make? Curved, helix, box, box in a box.. the architect needs to get inventive, be progressive, but can't just obliterate whats in the vicinity.

They do it with old cottages, where the old part may get extended, and it needs to blend nicely. That above does not blend nicely.

It genuinely looks like someone dropped a big shipping container on the building.

Hideous.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Mashed Potatoes

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼