The dull thread

What’s everyone’s favourite motorway service station? Mine is the Applegreen in Lusk. It’s got an air of depression about it that gives it such great credentials as a motorway service station.

What’s everyone’s favourite motorway service station? Mine is the Applegreen in Lusk. It’s got an air of depression about it that gives it such great credentials as a motorway service station.

I love a good service station and I visit a LOT of them.
Junction 14 Mayfield is probably the best imho.

I love a good service station and I visit a LOT of them.
Junction 14 Mayfield is probably the best imho.
I don’t like the fact that it’s on the wrong side of the road when going to Dublin. I like that it’s on the right side of the road when coming from Dublin.

Ireland has one of the widest gauge train network in Europe at 5 foot 3 inches. The UK gauge is 4 foot 8 1/2.

Originally the gauge on the first tracks in Ireland between Amiens Street and Kingstown were 4’8 1/2. The gauge out of Belfast was 6’2 but it was accepted by all that having two different track gauges in the country was not feasible.

It went to arbitration by the Board of Trade who suggested either a 5 foot gauge or 5’6. So they split the difference and that is how we ended up with a 5’3 gauge.

This self-centering design allows the screwdriver to apply a significant amount of torque to the screw without slipping out of the head – a common problem with slotted flathead screws, which feature a single slot, or groove, on the head. Phillips screws are mostly used in electronics, automotive and construction.

And indeed to increase the torque that can be applied many screws now have the six faced Hex/Allen Key rather than the 4 faced philips, which in turn was an improvement on the 2 faced flat heads

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sarah Buckley & Bróna Keogh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼