The County Board Complaints Thread

Does Frank Need To Go

• Total voters
Basically Urhan get in to Premier Junior on the basis of geography and there’s only a few teams left in Duhallow too so that’s even further decimated because one will be gone. Doesn’t really make full sense to make it a winners scenario.

I agree. Intermediate A should have been made Premier Junior because that’s about all it is but this is what the clubs voted for.

I still maintain all the grade names are wrong if we want to really reflect their standard other than the top senior level.
some good points above - one of the difficulties in Cork is the disparity at national level between our performances in club hurling and football. At club level our senior football teams are generally quite competitive but this tails off down the grades. In hurling it's the opposite.
Almost every Junior hurling team from Cork has performed well in Munster and all Ireland competitions where they have had a couple of weeks off after the county final. Maybe we might eventually not have an identikit championship for hurling and football?

In my opinion, Kerry Junior & Intermediate football teams and Kilkenny Junior & Intermediate hurling teams are generally marginally better than their Cork counterparts which is probably a result of density of top class club players in a smaller pool of clubs.

We shouldn't forget that these clubs whilst better than Cork, are pretty much better than everyone else too. And you know what, I can live with that...

What I think is most important is that we run off good competitive championships in our own county which are well organised and benefit the club player. We've all been there trying to organise work or book holidays and not knowing if we would be playing in 2 weeks or 2 months.

I'd commend the KO'D & the county board for their willingness to engage with clubs and seek solutions by consensus. I
do think, from seeing them in operation over recent years, that they have shown a capacity to see if something is not quite working that they will try to adjust course and do what is best for GAA in Cork - maybe we will see some further tweaks to competitions in coming years if issues need to be ironed out.

Reading a few post with various points being raised.

The emphasis being put on the Munster club competitions by people here is a bit too much I feel . As some posters have pointed out, have a proper run comp for our clubs is more important, and will likely improve teams at that level going forward which will hopefully result in national success but first and foremost a competitive championship is what is key. And I think you would be hard pressed to find any club or player from these clubs who would disagree.

With regards the selection criteria of goin gup (8 Div. Winners), I agree there is probably better and fairer ways to this but I'd imagine time constraints and getting a vote thru is the reason they went with this format. But also I think this is the county boards starting point for revamping the divisions - Don't be surprised to see another restructure in the coming years as some divisional comps are still so poorly run. Possibly even a chance of division amalgamation.

And to those saying junior divisions can now be run off in the summer months, I do hope you are right. But with some second teams involved in these, don't be surprised for divisions to wait until their first teams have played so that the 2nd teams can't be packed with players.
I also hear this week that Carrigdhoun are kicking off their football league this week with 4 weeks of games in a row..... and nothing again then for a few months. Happy to be corrected on this.

At a guess I’m going to say no. The winners of the junior county will go to intermediate A.

So it will likely mean 5 teams are relegated from intermediate A next year. 1 will be promoted.

That means 5 relegated teams and the 7 divisional winners will make up a 12 team premier junior.
I ultimately think this will happen because 5 teams were originally supposed to be dropped from this division pre Covid.

But all communications to this point only mention 8 up and 4 down to make the 12.

This new premier Junior will be a very average grade and our Munster reps will be eaten for breakfast bar a very strong team coming from no where.

However I feel intermediate A will be avery entertaining division as result of becoming a 12 team competition

Ballygiblin are playing lower intermediate in 22
Lower Intermediate will be renamed Premier Junior for 2022 with the winners representing Cork in Munster.

From Cork GAA website:
For example, in 2022, the following 12 teams would be in Premier Junior Hurling; Kilbrittain, Glen Rovers, Ballygarvan, Tracton, Argideen Rangers, Milford, Ballygiblin, Barryroe, Dripsey, St. Finbarr’s, St. Catherine’s, Russell Rovers.

I ultimately think this will happen because 5 teams were originally supposed to be dropped from this division pre Covid.

But all communications to this point only mention 8 up and 4 down to make the 12.

This new premier Junior will be a very average grade and our Munster reps will be eaten for breakfast bar a very strong team coming from no where.

However I feel intermediate A will be avery entertaining division as result of becoming a 12 team competition
Surely the new premier junior grade can only be stronger than the current junior a grade?

Our hurling champs will be strong. Our football champs will likely be well beaten by the Kerry champions as is currently the case.

It'll be funny this year, you could have teams not wanting to win their junior football division if it meant promotion. Presuming that in 2023 the prem jun football will be played at the same time as senior hurling chsmpionship. The thought of Midleton or Bride Rovers for example playing 3 football games in the middle of senior hurling championship will have people breaking out in cold sweats

So the 8 division winners get the same prize as the county winner? Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Should be 1 up and 5 down next year.

You are exactly right in what you’re saying. The new premier junior will actually not be any stronger than Junior A. It’ll be smaller and easier to win but the spread in quality of the 8 divisions and generally the 4/5 teams dropping down means it will contain 7/8 really poor teams starting off, if not more. This will even out over time though to be fair.

Taking 4/5 from the 16 in intermediate A football makes that a minefield next year so there’ll be skin and hair flying in the groups.

Taking 4/5 from the 16 in intermediate A football makes that a minefield next year so there’ll be skin and hair flying in the groups.
The group draws will have a big say in how teams get on next year.

Seedings IFC 2022
1. St Nicks, Mitchelstown, Kilshannig, Aghabullogue
2. Millstreet, Ballydesmond, Glanworth, Dromtarriffe
3/4. Glanmire, Barrs, Adrigole, Gabriel Rangers, Ballinora, Glenville, Kildorrery and Boherbue.

You could end up with a group of Mitchelstown, Millstreet, Glanmire and Boherbue meaning that at least 1 of these clubs would be relegated. And on the other side could have a group of Nicks, Ballydesmond, Glenville and Kildorrery, meaning at least 2 of them wouldn’t be relegated!

The draw next week will play a huge role in it!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

6th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival: The Kates

Coughlan's, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼