The Club Players Association - not before time.

A bit of an organisational revolution is needed in the GAA to catch up with the playing and preparation revolution which has take place over the last 15 years, and the championship as we know needs to end. A few simple fixes such as getting rid of replays or bringing AI finals forward a couple of weeks will improve things but you still have an absurd system in place with too many sacred cows.

People talk a lot about a champions league system, but I think the NFL is a much more appropriate example - a system designed to keep local rivalries alive. Groups 4 close by counties who you play every year, with 3 games against randomly drawn sides (qualified by seeding) from other groups.

On a system based on something like that, it really wouldn't take a master planning genius to work out a 3 month league/pool based championship system, with a 1 month AI series. All counties will be playing in May, June and July. 8 (4 in hurling) will be playing in August.

Club championships to be started in mid August, with potential for only a 2 week delay in a small handful of counties. Mid October should be the absolute end cut off for any County Championship

Standard two week gap between games,with football and hurling alternating each weekend. The new U20 grade to be played alongside senior intercounty weekends. If a player is playing senior, they're not eligible for U20.

Provincial championships can be played in March and Early April (Paddys day season kick off? ) and an incentive related to championship proper can be worked in to make them somewhat meaningful.

How many million did the munster council give for PUC? Has to come from somewhere

Hey, 10 Euro for me and two kids to see Cork hurlers, even against Kirry, is fine by me. Cost me was it 15 or 20 to get into the County Final - though given the result I didn't care.

And 10Euro for me and the two kids compares very favourably to the 25Euro, soon to be 35Euro :-(, for me and the two to see Cork City down the cross.

Good numbers signing up so far in the first fortnight.

Cork numbers above average.

Some clubs with huge numbers registered, lots of work to be done in others.

All members, be they players, administrators, coaches, or supporters are welcome to join. There is no fee.

Just log on to the Club Players Association website.

It takes less than a minute.

FIX THE FIXTURES.

A big problem with club GAA is also how the championship is seen as the major competition with half the teams knocked out after 1 or 2 matches. Most club first teams prepare very well nowadays (compared with 20/30 years ago) so it is very unsatisfactory to have only one or two serious matches.

A big problem with club GAA is also how the championship is seen as the major competition with half the teams knocked out after 1 or 2 matches. Most club first teams prepare very well nowadays (compared with 20/30 years ago) so it is very unsatisfactory to have only one or two serious matches.

If a team is prepared well enough, then they'll win a few games and prolong their championship season. No point giving teams loads of chances just to give them some token championship games. That just takes from the championship and knockout nature of it all.

It's looking to cut down on games we are - not make more.

If a team is prepared well enough, then they'll win a few games and prolong their championship season. No point giving teams loads of chances just to give them some token championship games. That just takes from the championship and knockout nature of it all.

It's looking to cut down on games we are - not make more.
I think there's a fair point there by don.

Some teams/players only live for championship and nothing else. You could play two, or even one, game and be knocked out and the entire season is effectively a write off. Some lads wouldn't even bother turning up to fulfill league fixtures.

It's not so much about having more games. It's more about the existing ones having more of a value.

I think there's a fair point there by don.

Some teams/players only live for championship and nothing else. You could play two, or even one, game and be knocked out and the entire season is effectively a write off. Some lads wouldn't even bother turning up to fulfill league fixtures.

It's not so much about having more games. It's more about the existing ones having more of a value.

Is there a case to be made for having a "plate" competition? You play yer championship matches and if you get knocked out in the first or second round you go into the plate so you get extra competitive games, the prospect of a trophy, but don't adversely affect the main championship in terms of games. Still gives guys who've trained all year something to aim at.

BTW, I didn't know that the Club PLAYERS Association was open to supporters. When/Why did that happen?

Is there a case to be made for having a "plate" competition? You play yer championship matches and if you get knocked out in the first or second round you go into the plate so you get extra competitive games, the prospect of a trophy, but don't adversely affect the main championship in terms of games. Still gives guys who've trained all year something to aim at.

They could also make the league more competitive by maybe offering top four seeding in the Championship draw or maybe a by to round four for the winners/top 2. For me the obvious solution is to make the Championship a league format but the CCB are totally opposed to that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Clancys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼