• Yes

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
Nothing lasts, both good and bad.
However it's hard for people in the grip of suicidal depression to see and believe that.

However suicide(and a family member who is murdered which is a rarer event but with similar consequences) causes unbelievable devastation to those that are left behind. They never really recover.
Look. It doesn’t matter.
I’ve been there.
Everything is irrelevant.

I don't understand suicide at all, but one thing I reflected on when a mate killed himself recently is that unless you've been in that situation, you can't understand what it is like.

To feel like the only way you can help yourself is to end your life must be a very dark place that only you can understand, and to try and comprehend it from another person's perspective is futile.

I hope never to be in that position mentally but I'm sure that most people who have ever been in that place never wanted to be there either.

Nothing lasts, both good and bad.
However it's hard for people in the grip of suicidal depression to see and believe that.

However suicide(and a family member who is murdered which is a rarer event but with similar consequences) causes unbelievable devastation to those that are left behind. They never really recover.

Someone in the grip of suicidal ideation is just very, very unwell.

The mental health services in this country are a disgrace tbh.

We allocate€1.3 billion a year which on paper sounds a lot but really just amounts to about 6% of our health spend. We've a ways to go in getting to the 14% of the health budget spend on MH of the UK. The reality is long waiting lists for basic access to services and people not getting the urgent treatment they require.

To put that in context we're spending €3 billion a year housing refugees and asylum seekers yet mental health reform Ireland say that our mental health services arent even keeping pace with the cost of inflation.

Last edited:
as far as im concered you dont necessarily have to be depressed to want to finish your life. i dont think its selfish (although it can be tough on your children etc). i think you shoud be entitled to end your life when you see fit...

Obviously a vv personal thing
I don’t agree
But it’s up to each individual ( assisted S)
Having dealt with potential suicide amongst a family member several years back
I can tell ya it’s not v easy to spot or understand how far a person might go,
Pieta intervened and 100 pc saved this individual, And educated their parents and said individual in coping mechanisms,
Take my hat off to them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Gallagher Plus Guests

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼