Strange PC problem - virus related?

I'll try to be as brief as possible with this, but it seems like quite an odd problem, and one that I'm guessing may be virus related somehow. I haven't been able to deal with it myself. In fact, all I've been able to accomplish is to sever the link between a PC and the wifi.

Anyway, here's the basic situation...

I was using a PC in my family's home when I noticed that the AVG Free virus software was unable to update. A message would come up on the screen to the effect that there was a 'general error'. I tried it a few times, but the same thing happened.

So, I decided to download Avast Free, but that wouldn't work either. Basically, it seems like the internet connection would drop when I tried to either a) update AVG, or b) install another piece of virus software.

If I left everything alone, i.e., effectively just go with the out of date AVG, then the internet connection seemed to work fine, but it didn't seem like a good idea from the security perspective to go along with that, so I wasn't happy to leave it at that.

So, I went to the control panel and was eventually able to select a 'fix' option for AVG, which appeared to do what it was supposed to, but then I found that this seemed to delete the internet connection - I got the message that the computer wasn't connected and that there were no connections available. Not the ideal outcome.

So, I tried to troubleshoot that, and I was presented with the option to do a system restore to the settings from about 20 minutes previously, before I did AVG 'fix'. I did that and sure enough the internet connection was restored, but I was back to square one, in that AVG wouldn't update or run a scan, and the connection would drop out whenever I tried to download/install any other piece of virus-related software.

Then I read that it can be tricky to install new virus software on a machine that already has virus software, so I decided to delete AVG entirely and then look to download something else. So, I removed AVG... and that seemed to also kill the internet connection again.

After the removal, even though I'm offline on that machine, I was able to run a virus sweep using Avira, which I had also tried to download, but wouldn't function prior to removing AVG. That identified a few minor-looking things, but nothing too drastic.

I know for a fact that the problem isn't the wifi, as other devices are functioning in the house (I'm writing this message on a laptop using the same connection).

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Delete avg. Then go to search and type avg. It might find bits of files in reg etc. If it persists I'd back up important stuff and do a factory reset. If you've probs pm me

Delete avg. Then go to search and type avg. It might find bits of files in reg etc. If it persists I'd back up important stuff and do a factory reset. If you've probs pm me

Cheers for the reply. The factory reset is kind of like the nuclear option, isn't it? If I do that, would I lose Microsoft Word etc.?

get portable apps and install on a USB key
http://portableapps.com/

install the following on the USB, the uninstaller can do a deep remove of all instances of a program so be careful

ClamWin Portable - Antivirus on the go
McAfee Stinger Portable (Freeware) - Common antivirus and 'fake alert' remover
Revo Uninstaller Portable (Freeware) - easy to use uninstaller
Spybot - Search & Destroy Portable (Freeware) - Spyware detection and removal

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼