Snowflake generation?

Weren't they questioning your (alleged by your partner) trouble with temper though? Not just a general "people with autism have temper tantrums" line. Also, they were entitled to comment on it. Not only entitled, but obliged to.

It isn't abut fault, it is about assessing the impact of any personality trait or disability on the welfare of the child.

If you were in a wheelchair you would be questioned on how you proposed to manage the day to day care of a child taking that into account. That wouldn't be saying it was your fault that you were in a wheelchair.

The "temper tantrums" came up because the judge said it.
As I said, I was making a point around the perception of autism and was surprised at the attitudes of supposed educated people. It's something I find is throughout society.
I could easily speak about other settings where I've witnessed and experienced it.
It's also amazing that people forget that regardless of when diagnosed, you're autistic since birth.
My point is about the perception of autism not the legal system.
I used the legal system as an example of the perception of autism.

Bringing someone's disability into anything is wrong, you said so yourself previously.
The basis of this questioning was in relation to my disability. My point was that I was surprised it was even allowed.

The basis of the questions were also backward in that it showed absolutely no knowledge of autism yet felt entitled to comment on it. It was in fact stereotypical of the ignorance towards it.

The view that autistic people have trouble with temper etc, and in fact the whole referring to meltdowns, overload etc as temper tantrums by a supposed educated person (judge), or that someone was at fault for being autistic shows that getting a diagnosis while giving someone answers, as you pointed out, helps the person understand themselves but doesn't stop the bullying and isolation.
I would imagine too that a court environment and the nature of questioning could upset a person with autism in a way that brings out the stress response whether it be meltdowns or whatever else. The same person might be in control as far as their family are concerned but court is a very stressful environment.

I would imagine too that a court environment and the nature of questioning could upset a person with autism in a way that brings out the stress response whether it be meltdowns or whatever else. The same person might be in control as far as their family are concerned but court is a very stressful environment.
100%. There's actually a guideline document for justice professionals in dealing with people with autism. Unfortunately it's not mandatory. The issue also is asking for it to be used cam open up an avenue to make you look less than perfect and it can be manipulated.

A friend had her fairly run-of-the-mill mental health issues brought up during a family law case recently. I’d hope a good judge would see through that though you don’t know if they could be negatively influenced. However, autism is very poorly understood by many.

A friend had her fairly run-of-the-mill mental health issues brought up during a family law case recently. I’d hope a good judge would see through that though you don’t know if they could be negatively influenced. However, autism is very poorly understood by many.
I believe as generations move on the stigma will die out.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Fred's Battle of the Bands Heat 5

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼