Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Duffs

Banned
"Winnie" to his many friends.

The 50th anniversary of the great man's death will take place on 24th January. His was the largest State Funeral ever seen.

Voted "Greatest Briton" in a BBC 2002 poll, he was twice recommended for a Victoria Cross but this was turned down because he wasn't "officially" in the army.

Loved good cigars, good whiskey and actually had a secret admiration for Michael Collins.

Feel free to air your thoughts on the finest war leader of the 20th century, affectionately known as The British Bulldog!

1965jan23winston.jpg

"Winnie" to his many friends.

The 50th anniversary of the great man's death will take place on 24th January. His was the largest State Funeral ever seen.

Voted "Greatest Briton" in a BBC 2002 poll, he was twice recommended for a Victoria Cross but this was turned down because he wasn't "officially" in the army.

Loved good cigars, good whiskey and actually had a secret admiration for Michael Collins.

Feel free to air your thoughts on the finest war leader of the 20th century, affectionately known as The British Bulldog!

1965jan23winston.jpg

I had heard that he wanted to send gunboats up the Liffey to marmalise the Irish during WW2 and rule from Westminster . An old soldier told me the following- that he visited the troops in a desert campaign in WW2 to boost morale . He was dressed in a siren suit and had the cigar in his gob as he addressed a huge gathering of troops- they were suffering in the heat, having to take salt tablets and having a shit time- he was heckled and booed , and theb platform party thought that the men were cheering him .
I would say that he was a hard cunt , but galvanised the nation in the war effort. Apparently he was M.P. for Dundee and lost his seat in that shithole after the war. He allegedly said that he would see grass grass grow on the weaving looms of Dundee- now that would please the pro drugs lobby on here .
http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion...alera-was-pro-hitler-131940993-238107031.html

Is that why he was voted out of office?

It's a bit more complex than that

There is no doubt that during the war he was a great leader and few if any could rival him, that was where his talents lay, party politics were not his strong point
Once the war was over people expected so much more, people felt they had sacrificed so much and there had to be a new social order, where the working class got a much better deal, better housing, working conditions promised by the labour party, together with slating the pre war stance of some leading conservatives and accusations of appeasement almost, who can forget Chamberlain and his peace in our time speech

All that led to a landslide victory for labour but does not detract from Churchill accomplishments during the war.

He invented the Black and Tans who, as we all know in Cork especially, were a great bunch of lads.

I stayed at his gaff. Not bad.

Apparently himself and George bernard Shaw had a bit of banter. The story is Shaw sent him two tickets for his new show witha note saying "I enclose two tickets for the opening night . Bring a friend - if you can find one ".

Winston wrote back " thank you but my schedule means I cannot possibly make the first night . I might make the second night - If there is one ".

Apparently himself and George bernard Shaw had a bit of banter. The story is Shaw sent him two tickets for his new show witha note saying "I enclose two tickets for the opening night . Bring a friend - if you can find one ".

Winston wrote back " thank you but my schedule means I cannot possibly make the first night . I might make the second night - If there is one ".

Was it Nancy Astor who said to him , "you are drunk " ? And he replied , "And you are ugly , at least I will be sober in the morning
or something like this,
https://madamedepique.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/winston-churchill-vs-nancy-astor/

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

DJ Jus Me

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼