Signing up for the Priesthood??

Why in this day and age with all that has been exposed would anyone wish to join this organisation? I know in recent years the numbers going forward have dwindled massively, but yet on occasion I hear or know of a young man decided to become a priest.

Is it denial? Is it a dropping out of society?? Do they think there is still power to be had in becomeing a member of the clergy? Perhaps they really think they can do some good, despite all the vileness it is suffused in.

I really can't make head nor tail of how people are still trundling along side the crock of noxious crap that is the Catholic Church.

There must be some lapse of intelligence so where to blatantly ignore all that has come to light and allow themselves to drop everything and actually want to attach themselves to what is essentially a crumbling institution.

I would love to know how they square it away , to even contemplate it.

It must take some compartmentalising in all fairness.

Why in this day and age with all that has been exposed would anyone wish to join this organisation? I know in recent years the numbers going forward have dwindled massively, but yet on occasion I hear or know of a young man decided to become a priest.

Is it denial? Is it a dropping out of society?? Do they think there is still power to be had in becomeing a member of the clergy? Perhaps they really think they can do some good, despite all the vileness it is suffused in.

I really can't make head nor tail of how people are still trundling along side the crock of noxious crap that is the Catholic Church.

There must be some lapse of intelligence so where to blatantly ignore all that has come to light and allow themselves to drop everything and actually want to attach themselves to what is essentially a crumbling institution.

I would love to know how they square it away , to even contemplate it.

It must take some compartmentalising in all fairness.

You left out one reason, the very reason you cannot understand men wanting to become priests.

Would you really want to join an organisation with such a bad name in the modern world, live a celibate and lonely life, and be expected to tend to the spiritual care of others? On balance I certainly couldn't do it - but the vast majority of those that do have a vocation, a calling if you will, to helping others the way they think they can through their religious beliefs. Certainly not for everyone but I wouldn't dismiss those that see it as their calling in life.

You left out one reason, the very reason you cannot understand men wanting to become priests.

Well I understand to a degree. My real question is how do they manage to get past all the other stuff.

Someone suggested that they just might believe there is a God. So running on the premise that God is all seeing and all knowing , and as we learned in Religion we will be judged at the end. Would let be so that perhaps 'good and decent ' men , who get a calling , consider that the bad people in the organisation he has just joined will ultimately be punished in the end.

Having said that in the meantime on earth the rot continues.

Just wondering re the inner dialogue of men who decide to take this step?

Trevor Sargent's been ordained hasn't he?

Had a weird thing come up on my LinkedIn recently too, a contact I knew from a good few years back and hadn't heard from in years had an update where he was going to be ordained.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼