Sicily and Rome

Rome is indeed spectacular and I couldn't recommend it highly enough, if you have any interest at all in history it will blow your mind, for anyone traveling to Rome I would suggest taking a trip out to Ostia Antica, an ancient port which is less visited by the throng of tourists.

Rome- If you are interested in the Vatican museum book your tickets in advance, otherwise you will be queuing for hours.

Sicily - Taormina is beautiful, but accommodation is expensive there.
I loved Mt Etna, well worth the trek up.
I also loved Corleone and Plazzo Adriano (where Cinema Paradiso was filmed)

There is a big price difference between Rome and other parts of Italy, inc Sicily. Expect to pay closer to Irish prices in Rome, unless you go off the beaten track.

Been to both a few times - waddaya want to know? Are you getting the train down or flying to Sicily?

Places to gatt and munch primarily.

Also, any cultural gheyness that I should avoid would be appreciated. I'm not known to queue.

I will be in Sicily in April and then later in August. Flying to Palermo in April and Catania in August. Rome also in April.

Good advice so far m8s.

Rome- If you are interested in the Vatican museum book your tickets in advance, otherwise you will be queuing for hours.

Sicily - Taormina is beautiful, but accommodation is expensive there.
I loved Mt Etna, well worth the trek up.
I also loved Corleone and Plazzo Adriano (where Cinema Paradiso was filmed)

There is a big price difference between Rome and other parts of Italy, inc Sicily. Expect to pay closer to Irish prices in Rome, unless you go off the beaten track.

:cool:
True Mattie but in Rome you find a lot of places with "tourist menus" which consist of two courses with wine or beer and are quite reasonable.
Sicily is quite a rip-off imo. Min. €40 from the airport to anywhere. "Taking the tourist's dollar" is quite popular in bars and restaurants there also.
I stayed in Catania and visited the places you mentioned. Excellent trips.
You need to hire a car in Sicily but the inter-city buses aren't too bad.
I'd go back to Rome but not to Sicily tbh.

:cool:
True Mattie but in Rome you find a lot of places with "tourist menus" which consist of two courses with wine or beer and are quite reasonable.
Sicily is quite a rip-off imo. Min. €40 from the airport to anywhere. "Taking the tourist's dollar" is quite popular in bars and restaurants there also.
I stayed in Catania and visited the places you mentioned. Excellent trips.
You need to hire a car in Sicily but the inter-city buses aren't too bad.
I'd go back to Rome but not to Sicily tbh.
I hear renting a car is a must in Sicily. The food is meant to be sensational.

And then the Nero d'Avola. Back of the net.

I hear renting a car is a must in Sicily. The food is meant to be spectacular too.

Car is the way to go alright, though driving in Palermo is interesting. Lanes seem to be notional at best! Food is great alright, esp if you like fish.

One thing we noticed is that there are gags about the godfather everywhere except Corleone. Not a mention of it there :D I thought they would make a thing of it for tourists but it seems not. Also, all the old guys sitting outside the cafes there look like they were in the Sopranos. Every one of them!

We stayed in Marsala for a few days. Not as stunning as Tormina, but much much cheaper and the food there was great.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼