Should we remove Ireland's WW2 lookout posts?

Should we remove Ireland's WW2 lookout posts?

• Total voters
How would you nationalise something that is in private ownership?

Would you consider it reasonable if the state decided to nationalise your house?
Simple, my house is not Irish heritage McCarthy's Castle is.All these places should belong to the state, not in private ownership.

During the Williamite War in Ireland in the 1690s, the 4th Earl of Clancarty (also named Donough MacCarty) was captured, and his lands (including Blarney Castle) were confiscated by the Williamites.

The castle was sold and changed hands several times — Sir Richard Pyne, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, owned it briefly — before being purchased in the early 18th century by Sir James St John Jefferyes, governor of Cork City.[

In other words, it was stolen from the Irish. Give it back.

During the Williamite War in Ireland in the 1690s, the 4th Earl of Clancarty (also named Donough MacCarty) was captured, and his lands (including Blarney Castle) were confiscated by the Williamites.

The castle was sold and changed hands several times — Sir Richard Pyne, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, owned it briefly — before being purchased in the early 18th century by Sir James St John Jefferyes, governor of Cork City.[

Another epic fail, both Jefferyes and Pyne were Irish.

I'm talking more generally, eg ownership of river basins etc. You would need to expand the law to include whatever areas you wished to "nationalise". Fraught with difficulty obviously, having to comply with EU law etc but I'm sure it could be done.
Wouldn't fancy being the one drafting the legislation though 😀.
A bigger hurdle than EU law would be the constitutional right to own property. Creating a legal precedent that the state can just nationalise property of foreign nationals at will would require a constitutional referrandum I would think.

Those people were Irish as is Mr Colthurst.

A bigger hurdle than EU law would be the constitutional right to own property. Creating a legal precedent that the state can just nationalise property of foreign nationals at will would require a constitutional referrandum I would think.
I'm not talking about who owns it being grounds for a CPO but rather expanding the law to include other areas that the state deems it desirable to be in state ownership, be they for heritage or other reasons.
Current CPO legislation must already have got around the constitutional right to own property and other legal issues, that's why I suggested it as a process rather than starting from scratch.
I'm sure it would be robustly challenged in the courts though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Muireann Bradley
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

3rd Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼