Ferris
TOL
Sexton
D'Arcy
BOD
Fitz
Bowe
Kearney

Cullen will be 32 in January. I don't really see the point in bringing him in.

You're probably right that we need to give Sexton a run out, although I have serious reservations about his attitude, if not his skills.

Unfortunately, at out-half, ROG has had such a lock on the position that we haven't really sorted out the succession. I would like to see Ian Humphreys or even, as a much bolder move, Niall O'Connor given a 20 minutes off the bench at the end of one of the matches.

We need to give Keith Earls some serious gametime this year. Also, with the inevitability of D'Arcy getting injured, Paddy Wallace needs a start or two.

Jennings? His name doesn't sit that easily there, but I can't think of who I'd place ahead of him.

Team I'd like to see:

Healy
Flannery
Hayes (Hmmm)
POC
CUllen
Jennings (Ugh)
Heaslip
Ferris
TOL
Sexton
D'Arcy
BOD
Fitz
Bowe
Kearney
Hayes will be out. I can't see him getting less than about 6 weeks. Jennings only looks good when his pack is dominant. I'd stick with Wallace for now. Other than that and maybe starting ROG with Sexton to come on early then that's fine

Cullen will be 32 in January. I don't really see the point in bringing him in.

You're probably right that we need to give Sexton a run out, although I have serious reservations about his attitude, if not his skills.

Unfortunately, at out-half, ROG has had such a lock on the position that we haven't really sorted out the succession. I would like to see Ian Humphreys or even, as a much bolder move, Niall O'Connor given a 20 minutes off the bench at the end of one of the matches.

We need to give Keith Earls some serious gametime this year. Also, with the inevitability of D'Arcy getting injured, Paddy Wallace needs a start or two.

Jennings? His name doesn't sit that easily there, but I can't think of who I'd place ahead of him.
Attitude? It's no worse than ROG's to be fair. Niall O'Connor is probably not up to it and at this stage Humph Óg is probably no better than ML standard with the odd eye-catching HEC performance. Earls needs a bit of TLC after the Lions tour. He mixed the bad with the solid on Saturday.

I'm inclined to agree with jd26 about Cullen, he's not going to be there for the world cup so I think its pointless bringing him in really.

Healy has to be pushing for a place as well, and we need to forget about John Hayes in terms of the world cup, so someone needs to be found asap to play there.

Sexton is looking like the natural successor to ROG, so I think he should at least start against Fiji, and I would personally have him start against Australia as well with ROG on the bench. If he performs well, then he should start against SA.

Behind him, the backline picks itself really. Earls should definitely be a replacement though, as he can cover a few positions, and a start against Fiji would be a good idea.

openside is a tough one, will Wallace be around for the world cup in 2 years? Extremely doubtful, so in that case, Jennings has to be considered first choice.

Re Sexton's attitude- thats his best attribute. He thinks his shit doesn't stink, just like the current incumbent. OH's need that

I hate Jennings and would love someone else to put their hand up.

Cullen still deserves it for his form imo.

Earls- fair enough.

Attitude? It's no worse than ROG's to be fair. Niall O'Connor is probably not up to it and at this stage Humph Óg is probably no better than ML standard with the odd eye-catching HEC performance. Earls needs a bit of TLC after the Lions tour. He mixed the bad with the solid on Saturday.

I have no problem with Sextons attitude on the pitch tbh. As you said, ROG is the same.

You need a bit of cockiness in an out half.

I'm inclined to agree with jd26 about Cullen, he's not going to be there for the world cup so I think its pointless bringing him in really.

Healy has to be pushing for a place as well, and we need to forget about John Hayes in terms of the world cup, so someone needs to be found asap to play there.

Sexton is looking like the natural successor to ROG, so I think he should at least start against Fiji, and I would personally have him start against Australia as well with ROG on the bench. If he performs well, then he should start against SA.

Behind him, the backline picks itself really. Earls should definitely be a replacement though, as he can cover a few positions, and a start against Fiji would be a good idea.

openside is a tough one, will Wallace be around for the world cup in 2 years? Extremely doubtful, so in that case, Jennings has to be considered first choice.
Actually, I'd say Wallace will be around still. And Cullen will around for it too so if he's till at the standard then why not? He's not much older than POC after all and a lock playing top-class international rugby at 34 is hardly unheard of.

Jennings at openside? Heaven fucking help us. That said, I don't know that the options are great. Niall Ronan is not an international openside.

ROG's attitude stinks and it's a pity he wasn't under more pressure for the jersey for the last few years.

My thinking about Humphreys and O'Connor was that even if Sexton nails the position, we need cover and we can't allow the situation we had in the last few years where if anything happened to ROG we were screwed to persist.

I agree, it's a dilemma as to who we give game time to though. O'Connor hasn't had that many games for Ulster yet and would be very inexperienced, while Humphreys, although I'd rate him a bit higher than you, is certainly never going to be more than cover in the position. He's also not all that young any more.

Actually, I'd say Wallace will be around still. And Cullen will around for it too so if he's till at the standard then why not? He's not much older than POC after all and a lock playing top-class international rugby at 34 is hardly unheard of.

Jennings at openside? Heaven fucking help us. That said, I don't know that the options are great. Niall Ronan is not an international openside.

Wallace is 34 though, he'll be 36 at the world cup, can you honestly say he'll be the best man for the position at that age?

Cullen perhaps. Wallace I don't think so.

Agreed about Ronan, he's just not international standard. Jennings is all we've got unfortunately aside from Wallace.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼