Referees ruining Hurling

The last three games we have been involved in controversy has been created by what most people would agree were harsh red cards. While I applaud the initiative to stamp out dangerous play the irony is there were three reckless and wild strokes( Shane O Neill, P.J Delaney and Liam Rushe) that deserved red yet only saw yellow, so much for this new policy. Instead we have Pat Horgan (a genuine effort to play the ball) Shefflin (a bit of clumsiness) O Dwyer (first yellow a slightly mistimed shoulder) all seeing red. No one can say for sure whether these incidents would have changed the outcome of the matches but if this type of refereeing is allowed to continue I fear one of the things that makes hurling a thing of beauty namely players using their instinct could be lost forever for example Pat Horgans goal was a perfect example of hand eye co-ordination yet if he was a split second late he would have hit Maguires hand and potentially seen yellow or red. If this type of reffing is allowed to continue we will have coaches telling players to pull out of 50/50 balls for fear of getting carded. For the sake of the game the refs have to leave common sense prevail namely if a player is making a genuine effort to paly the ball or tackle the man then if mistimed it is merely a free and dangerous play is punished, its not difficult to tell the difference between the two by anyone who has played. We cannot have a situation where different fouls are been treated the same, it is turning the game into a lottery and I for one do not want the All Ireland to finish with one side complaining about some referees strict adherence to the rule book without using whatever common sense he may or may not have!! Rant over!!

Of those 3, I think the only one that was a completely wrong decision was Horgans.

The other 2, while debatable, were for 2 yellow cards, both of which could have gone either way.

Back to the midlands with you!

On a serious note, I think the "black card" idea is a good one. Force the team to make a substitution. I think going a man down has a huge effect on the outcome, but the player should have to leave the field.

2 yellows in the Waherfurrd/KK minor match in Sunday that were unnecessary as well- only thing was they were close and didnt effect the outcome.

Would be a shame if hurling goes the way of soccer and we have men walking in every match - the advantage to the extra man is huge in hurling compared to any other sport

Before the likes of Kola jump down my throat - this is not the same as saying that we lets lads flake the shite out of each other.

On a serious note, I think the "black card" idea is a good one. Force the team to make a substitution. I think going a man down has a huge effect on the outcome, but the player should have to leave the field.

yeah - good call, although I can see it being embraced whole heartedly by nordie systematic fouling football teams. The game is already close to unwatchable where they are concerned.

I think a sin-binning would be better, 10 minutes down a man, rather than carrying on regardless.

Of those 3, I think the only one that was a completely wrong decision was Horgans.

The other 2, while debatable, were for 2 yellow cards, both of which could have gone either way.

Same - if you get a yellow card you should know you need to cop the fuck on. I have no doubt whatsoever what Dwyer and Shefflin were at. It might not have been life-threatening dangerous play, but it's a critical aspect of "on de edge" shit-to-watch hurling. Rough up your opposition and win the spilled ball.

Horgan was putting the defender off too, by the way, definite yellow IMO, but the rule book does say red.

Black Card is a load of bollix, sure you can send on some lad to sledge the best player on the other team and still get away with it in that case, sin bin is the best option

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Ceili By The Lee

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼