Recycle / Re-Turn

Leinster House gets an exemption from the Re-Use(less) scheme

Ycnmiu

The sooner these c*nts are gone the better.
That sets a desperate message. Do as I say not as I do.

I said I’d chance my arm at this malarkey just to see what all the fuss is about.. I believe in the recycling/reuse mantra as I believe we all do but am a bit peev’d at having to return item to a shop when I have a recycling bin 3 feet from my side gate.. I took two approaches.. and two bags.. first bag was full of empty coke cans that I bought in singular fashion and also from multi packs.. all had bar codes and I checked the bar codes on the re-turn website and all were deemed acceptable.. I went to Dunnes in Douglas and to be fair the majority were taken without issue. 5 were rejected so I put them back into the bag.. reciept was issued for the good ones so all good there..

I went back out to the car and re- checked the the 5 rejected on re-turn website and all were still good.. I went into dealz in Douglas Court with the 5 and the machine was different to Dunnes.. I put the first can in and nothing happened.. then realised you have to hit start on the screen.. different to Dunnes, but no harm.. hit start and still nothing.. didn’t move forward, didn’t get rejected.. Called over a staff member and asked was there an issue.. she was clueless and kept saying “I dunno”.. that said, not her fault and probably not trained for it.. another staff member came over.. he said you gotta throw the can in as far as it will go.. he did it himself to demonstrate and to be fair it took the can, however it didn’t issue the reciept for 0.15.. to his credit he offered to knock 0.15 off any purchase but I was only doing this as an experiment.

The remaining 4 cans I brought to Super Valu, Grange the next day.. two were taken and two were rejected.. I took the 0.30 credit and put the remaining two in the bin.

Bag 2
This bag was full of cans of various soft drinks and plastic luzozadade bottles.. About half I had paid the 0.15 fee on and half not.. I couldn’t check them on the re-turn website as they did not have bar codes.. 20 items in total.. again, Dunnes Douglas Court, and of the ones I paid the 0.15 on half were accepted and half not.. not sure how the machine reads the container without a bar code though.. The ones where I knew I had not paid the 0.15 on numbered about 7.. of the 7, 3 were accepted and I got 0.45 back.. the other 4 I binned in the recycling once I got home.. So.. there does seem to be an issue with some but look.. maybe that will be ironed out in the coming weeks. Still rather just put them in my recycle bin though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

In Conversation with Jan McCullough and Emmett Scanlon

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼