Pubs reopening June 29th

Exactly ,people should focus on how they are being robbed by rent ,bad transport ,insurance ,bad public policy ,bad management of our public institutions,rip off subscriptions and all the rest ,the pint is a discretionary item ,yet we externalise on to it . I had it that the pint was 23 % cheaper in real terms today but the 161 pints is staggering ,
Discretionary items like pints and coffee are nearly the first items to be cut when on a budget etc.

Post C-19 people have also got out of the habit of going to the pub and are focusing on health etc unlike in 1971.

The huge social problems Ireland had with alcoholism back in the day

Brendan Behan dead at 41 years of age.

1714060232814.png

The old stereotypical Irish person drinking alcohol to excess is literally dying out.

We consume less than most continental Europeans nowadays.

1714060392548.png

Unlike in 1971 it now takes 2 incomes to pay an average mortgage and people have way more options for entertainment than ever before with latest movies streamed direct to your T.V. and food and shopping delivered right to your door.

It is cheaper to drink here than in the U.S., U.K. and France etc but the way the big breweries just keep raising prices they are just slowly strangling the pub trade and its attractiveness and affordability for many.

People can just hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and hit a different city every month for the experience and why be loyal to a drinks industry that could not care less about its customer. All my nephews, nieces, boyfriends and girlfriends plan holidays and weddings etc and put their money towards homes and cars etc + as much fun and travel while they can.

The huge monolithic recorded music industry tried the same with music downloads and Spotify etc to keep their more expensive physical product going for years in huge stores but where are they now?

The same with physical banks on the main streets-all replaced by an app.

The breweries think that they still have a huge captive audience and it is still the late 1990's.
A lot of that’s true ,I don’t see a case for the current hike by major breweries,I like to get away when I can too and I’ve noticed larger increases abroad on a percentage of cost ,especially in your current town ,the increases there since 2019 have been collossal in comparison,

AHH, it's not that bad at all now lad,..

Be fair, it's a much nicer pint that heino, carlsberg, or worse again, Carling.. 🤮🤮🤮

I had a meeting with a few people from Norn Iron at the start of the week.

I left it thinking "I would murder a pint of Harp now".

Only place that I've seen Harp on draught in Cork in a long, long time was in Barbarella before the Hyde Out lads took it on.

I had a meeting with a few people from Norn Iron at the start of the week.

I left it thinking "I would murder a pint of Harp now".

Only place that I've seen Harp on draught in Cork in a long, long time was in Barbarella before the Hyde Out lads took it on.
Took it on, made a balls of it, closed it.

Don't think I ever tried Harp to be honest.

As you say, it's not available in most places.

I worked in an Irish pub in Germany from 2010-2012.

These were our prices-

Guinness- €4.80
Local lager - €3.70
568ml bottle of Magners - €5.30

Go back there today, in April 2024, and the prices are -

Guinness - €5
Local lager - €4.20
568ml bottle of Magners - €5.50

20c on a pint in the space of 12 years, in a country that has to import both Guinness and Magners.

Ireland is a fucking pisstake of a country.

Bring them with you.

Put them in a corner.

Large bottle of Deasy's red lemonade.

Bag of Taytos.

Join-the-dots book.

7 pints later you'll have shares in a lurcher and the the kids will have a story to tell.
Having your kids running around and wrecking a lounge bar in the suburbs is a long-standing rite of passage for Irish kids.

Parents enjoy a few scoops while the bar staff clean up all the mess.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼