Pubs reopening June 29th

The starbucks wasn't a café.

And Centra is probably "High End Retail," on planet brown envelope. So you're 100% correct, and I agree with you.

:lol!: :lol!::lol!:
1706215543712.png
1706215657207.png

1706216337154.png

If anyone wants to see what's wrong with Cork, I'd advise a read of the Development plan.

The plan is brilliant, but it has no sense of realism

'High End Retail' is what they term 'Comparison Retail' which mean shops that you go into to view goods and compare with others as opposed to a convenience store where you buy newspapers etc. So you won't get planning to change from an existing use to new one unless it meets the objectives above.

Hence the whole place will be boarded up soon

Last edited:
I think as well that councils achieve so little of their big plans that when something does come to fruition they dine out on it big time.

Like when they closed a street off to pedestrians and let a few cafes put out tables and chairs.

You'd swear they had built the channel tunnel

The whole “comparison retail” concept was originally conceived to compete with sterile shopping centres who at the time would only allow one of each type of retail: one chemist, one electrical store, etc….

But city council has taken it way too far

Thankfully I've had no need to refer to the current plan, I thought the 2008 version was bonkers but this one is even worse.

The claim that Patrick Street is the "main shopping street for the South of Ireland" shows how deluded they are.

The Krispy Kreme situation just typifies this.

They would rather a boarded up building than a doughnut shop that has seating for about 6 customers.

Krispy Kreme will probably continue to operate but remove the seating, leaving alot of unutilised space ( good luck getting the rates back) which ultimately will lead to the location being unprofitable.

The council objected to the sign as well 😃

In 2024, what exactly does Cork City Council do? Should it not reflect the changing nature of the city?
According to their “mission statement” “Cork City Council provides and maintains the city’s parks, roads and housing. It also drives the city's economic development and tourist offering and works every day at local level to strengthen our communities. Cork City Council is at the heart of the city's arts and cultural offering.”

It would appear from the above that they do everything.

Is it time to look at the organisation and see if it is still fit for purpose?

The Council by and large does what it is supposed to do.

Its very easy for people to cherry pick individual cases that haven't been properly addressed.

The only remedy would be to run the council on a results/targets based organization.

That may sound like a good idea, but have a look at our friends across the water and see how that country is progressing.

The UK has done it with policing, education, healthcare and local authorities and it has been an unmitigated disaster

Irish GDP has contracted for the third quarter in a row according to preliminary estimates from the CSO today.

We are in RECESSION lads and there's no escaping this fact.

Go out have a pints now because soon enough all the pubs will be shut down, and even if they were open you wouldn't be able to afford a pint anyway because your jobs will soon be gone and you'll be going into negative equity and struggling to pay your bills

Does the city council do water? Refuse? Health? Education? Policing?
From what I can see even the planning department is merely a triage for the An Bord Pleanála fiasco.

75% of Cork City Council’s budget is spent on “wages and administration,” and I’m just wondering what it does?

Ok, maybe the fire brigade, that’s probably it. And they’ve just negotiated a 10.5% pay increase.
Source?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 2pm

More events ▼