Pubs reopening June 29th

I was chatting to a Benny employee over brunch earlier and got a few updates on Ziggy's.

According to my source, they are changing the name to "The Park", and it will be serving both cocktails and food. I'm personally sceptical about the food bit as I don't think Ziggy's had a kitchen, so they'll have to build one?

She also said that Benny didn't know that they were going to paint over the murals and wasn't happy that it was done. Not sure how true that is but I hope it is. It doesn't seem like Benny's style to go around erasing parts of Cork's heritage.

Maybe the first anti- heritage pub.

I was chatting to a Benny employee over brunch earlier and got a few updates on Ziggy's.

According to my source, they are changing the name to "The Park", and it will be serving both cocktails and food. I'm personally sceptical about the food bit as I don't think Ziggy's had a kitchen, so they'll have to build one?

She also said that Benny didn't know that they were going to paint over the murals and wasn't happy that it was done. Not sure how true that is but I hope it is. It doesn't seem like Benny's style to go around erasing parts of Cork's heritage.

Passed Ziggy's again this morning and what initially looked like an undercoat seems to be the final take. Coffee coloured architraves and cream and orange dappled walls. Murals all painted over, including my beloved one of Bernie Murphy with the "You're In Cork Now Like" inscription :(

If they're going to do food I guess upstairs will be completely revamped and a kitchen put in as it'll be tight enough for space unless they're going to be retaining all the tables and chairs outside on Tuckey Street which more and more seems to be closed off to traffic.

Another poseur-palace it seems.

Anyone got any recommendations for where might pass for a Ziggy's II? Somewhere one can go and the barman knows your face at least, where you're made feel welcome and it's not just a financial transaction where you could be buying a newspaper or a tin of beans for all the interaction you get from the person behind the bar? Somewhere that there's decent music in the background you can listen to while waiting for a pal but isn't so loud that it kills conversation if you want one with the barman or the next punter or your pal when he/she arrives. Somewhere that you're not charged an arm and a leg for a poorly pulled pint and that you only recognise the name of half the products on sale. Somewhere with a bit of soul to it and not just a restaurant that happens to sell pints. Somewhere that you'd actually look forward to going into for a natter with people and where even strangers wouldn't be offended at the thought of someone exchanging pleasantaries.
I'm not even "looking for four", just a nice simple, straight-forward pub.

Passed Ziggy's again this morning and what initially looked like an undercoat seems to be the final take. Coffee coloured architraves and cream and orange dappled walls. Murals all painted over, including my beloved one of Bernie Murphy with the "You're In Cork Now Like" inscription :(

If they're going to do food I guess upstairs will be completely revamped and a kitchen put in as it'll be tight enough for space unless they're going to be retaining all the tables and chairs outside on Tuckey Street which more and more seems to be closed off to traffic.

Anyone got any recommendations for where might pass for a Ziggy's II? Somewhere one can go and the barman knows your face at least, where you're made feel welcome and it's not just a financial transaction where you could be buying a newspaper or a tin of beans for all the interaction you get from the person behind the bar? Somewhere that there's decent music in the background you can listen to while waiting for a pal but isn't so loud that it kills conversation if you want one with the barman or the next punter or your pal when he/she arrives. Somewhere that you're not charged an arm and a leg for a poorly pulled pint and that you only recognise the name of half the products on sale. Somewhere with a bit of soul to it and not just a restaurant that happens to sell pints. Somewhere that you'd actually look forward to going into for a natter with people and where even strangers wouldn't be offended at the thought of someone exchanging pleasantaries.
Bandon road would have a few pubs like that, Although i hear the sportsmans has sold its soul and joined the " modern" bar image,

Bandon road would have a few pubs like that, Although i hear the sportsmans has sold its soul and joined the " modern" bar image,

Yeah there are still a few "local" bars out of town jimmy, but I was hoping for something "between the two rivers" if possible - or even slightly further out "in the flat of the city".

Still like Moks even if it is full of barrs men ;)

The Long Valley
The Bodhran
Ryan's
Dennehy's
Jim Cashmans

The Long Valley
The Bodhran
Ryan's
Dennehy's
Jim Cashmans

Used be a regular in the valley when Humphrey ran it. Even signed the book

The Bodhran was also recommended to me by someone else. Used go in there but not really been in there much in the last 20 years. Must give it another go.

Ryan's on NMS Another that I should probably try again alright. Seemed to remember the pint wasn't great last time I was in there but overall not bad at all.

Used go to Con's a lot when he ran it. A bit more gentile with his missus and not a place you'd interact really but not bad

I do like Jim Cashman's - was in there again recently. Donncadh is a great guy, albeit Na Piarsaigh ;)

None of them Ziggy's but yeah I must get back in the swing of things again MOE. Ta.

Used be a regular in the valley when Humphrey ran it. Even signed the book

The Bodhran was also recommended to me by someone else. Used go in there but not really been in there much in the last 20 years. Must give it another go.

Ryan's on NMS Another that I should probably try again alright. Seemed to remember the pint wasn't great last time I was in there but overall not bad at all.

Used go to Con's a lot when he ran it. A bit more gentile with his missus and not a place you'd interact really but not bad

I do like Jim Cashman's - was in there again recently. Donncadh is a great guy, albeit Na Piarsaigh ;)

None of them Ziggy's but yeah I must get back in the swing of things again MOE. Ta.
You're welcome. Question now for you SoundMan

A few of the top fellas from work are coming down next week, and I'd imagine there'll be pints.

What would be a good place to bring them that will be reliable, have a nice pint, and give them a good impression of Cork?

I'm thinking The Shelbourne Bar maybe?

You're welcome. Question now for you SoundMan

A few of the top fellas from work are coming down next week, and I'd imagine there'll be pints.

What would be a good place to bring them that will be reliable, have a nice pint, and give them a good impression of Cork?

I'm thinking The Shelbourne Bar maybe?

Shelbourne is good. Eclectic crowd but can get a bit jammers at times.

Depending on the crowd which you'll be able to gauge yourself, a drop in to The Cork Arms might be worth it too - though the jacks there down the very steep stairs is a problem when the tide is out.

Pre-Covid I loved bringing work visitors from abroad to The Welcome Inn in Parnell Place. Great vibe. Good pints. Vast array of whiskeys for visitors who mightn't have been in to suppin porter. A bit quirky with what must be THE smallest snug in the country, certainly that I've encountered. And brilliant live music. I've a few guys who visit from the UK on an annual basis and they love live music venues as they don't get many of them in UK. Only thing that lets the place down a small bit is the jacks. Certainly not the worst just not as high a standard as the rest of the place imho. And of course free wifi which some of the visitors were looking for to check their work emails on the phone.

I recall one youngster who was visiting from Germany and I brought him on a small tour. Any city can have a stout brewery but Cork (at the time) had two. And we started with some "kraft" stout out of The Well (someone had recommended the place to him), we had a Murphy's in The North Gate Tav, A Guinness in The Castle, and a Beamish in The Oval - complete with the ornate beamish bar. The guy was buckled after only four pints of stout. But he said he enjoyed the Murphy's the most. The majority of the other visitors that come drink Murphys when there here. They even know to let the pint "settle" into when you can clearly distinguish between black and white - I like to think of it as a secular Cork twist on Ramadan.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼