Public Service Cutbacks

So in light of the governments descision to increase the pension payments of the private sector to raise revenue what are the opinions of those here in both private and public sector?

Personally Im in the private sector looking at possible 3 day weeks and maybe the dole in the near future. If I had to choose between a higher payout now(to a guaranteed pension) with public sector job security or no extra payments (with no guarantee that a pension will be there when I retire) with the absent job security I have at the moment I'd be happy to take a hit financially now as an insurance to keeping my job.

Discuss/argue....

You assume people here work.

It seems most are freeloading students.

It isn't an increase in pension payments. It will have no effect whatsoever on my pension. It is however a special tax on those unlucky enough to have chosen to serve the state on fixed wages, while the public sector got richer then lost it all during the celtic tiger.

This LEVY brings my take home wage, as a civil servant with 5 years service, to below €400 per week. If I was on the dole, I'd get 200 a week, I'd be entitled to income support, and i would save on transport costs as I wouldnt need to drive to work.

But someone has to spend their days giving the private sector someone to moan and whinge to.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼