Private Hospitals - an epidemic

Stromovka

"Plans were unveiled today for a new €90m private hospital in Cork that will create 675 jobs.

Cork Medical Centre is scheduled to open next April at the new City Gate development in Mahon.

Run by Sheehan Medical, founders of the prestigious Blackrock Clinic in Dublin, it will be the first new private hospital facility to open in the city for 30 years.

Dr Joseph Sheehan, of Sheehan Medical, said the firm has been planning a new hospital in Cork for several years.

It will be available to the majority of private health plans."

A private hospital to be built near Jurys on the Western Road.

And planning permission granted for Beacon to build a co-location private hospital on CUH grounds.

Can Cork sustain this number of private hospitals? Are they going to be empty like so many buildings built in the past few years? Pity the poor fucker without private health insurance in the future.

I have no problem with Privacy, we're born alone, we die alone.

I dont want some cunt coughing next to me, in the cab, the ward, or the hearse.

S

Stromovka,

I can't speak for the other hospitals but the Cork Medical Centre, unveiled last week, definitely won't be empty because Sheehan Medical are the operators and about to start fit out. It is due to open on 19th April next year. The difference is that this private hospital is the only one in Cork that has full planning permission, is built, funded and has an operator.

There is a huge demand for surgery locally because Cork City has such a large catchment with people driving up from places as far as Kerry for operations. Also, the percentage of population with private health insurance is actually higher than in Dublin. Don't forgot there hasn't been a new private hospital built in Cork for the past 30 years, whereas Dublin has had a few since then - so it is long overdue.

And, Beaty, there won't be any chance of people coughing in the bed next to you because all rooms in the Cork Medical Centre are due to be single rooms, which is rare even for private hospitals.

Before anyone asks, card on the table time, yes I do have a connection to Sheehan Medical - I do their PR.

All the best,

Simon Palmer

If they pulled the plug on the NTPF wouldn't it have a huge impact on the private medicine industry, when all these hospitals are up and running?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Blue Steel

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼