Premier Intermediate hurling 2021

It’s more so pointing to our grading issues once again when it comes to Munster and All Ireland club. This was the third tier winners in Cork against the top tier winners in Kerry. I know it’s quite even when you put it like that and Kilmoyley have huge hurling tradition but we need to have a look at our own system again I think.

It’s more so pointing to our grading issues once again when it comes to Munster and All Ireland club. This was the third tier winners in Cork against the top tier winners in Kerry. I know it’s quite even when you put it like that and Kilmoyley have huge hurling tradition but we need to have a look at our own system again I think.
Realistically the senior A and prem senior are the same thing. They were all one a couple of years ago so whatever way you want to word it the prem intermediate is still the 2nd tier of hurling in cork. It's only 3rd on paper.

Realistically the senior A and prem senior are the same thing. They were all one a couple of years ago so whatever way you want to word it the prem intermediate is still the 2nd tier of hurling in cork. It's only 3rd on paper.
They’re not the same thing at all because there is a big jump from one to the other. There should be a renaming of the grades which leaves only one senior grade, two intermediate grades and a raft of teams put back to down to junior, possibly create a premier junior grade with the best of that lot.

So wording is important but we are being far too kind giving a whole pile of teams senior status and as a result, Senior A would then be our Premier Intermediate and give a better reflection of the standards in each grades IMO.

Personally don’t think there’s any need to change, Ballygiblin won the Junior in Munster today and will probably make an All Ireland final too despite being in the 6th level of Cork hurling this year, Cork clubs have had 8 All Ireland wins at Intermediate and Junior level, second only to Kilkenny, whilst the rest of Munster combined has only 3 in total. Granted, nowhere near as successful in football but that’s usually down to the Kerry system.

I never usually read too much into these club competitions at intercounty level, they’re more bonus territory than anything else.

Personally don’t think there’s any need to change, Ballygiblin won the Junior in Munster today and will probably make an All Ireland final too despite being in the 6th level of Cork hurling this year, Cork clubs have had 8 All Ireland wins at Intermediate and Junior level, second only to Kilkenny, whilst the rest of Munster combined has only 3 in total. Granted, nowhere near as successful in football but that’s usually down to the Kerry system.

I never usually read too much into these club competitions at intercounty level, they’re more bonus territory than anything else.
Partially the issue lies that they won it in a weekend where Kerry intercounty hurlers claimed a major scalp and also won the higher tier club competition against cork opposition.

Once upon a time we utterly dominated the senior clubs comps but we are basically minnows there now

They’re not the same thing at all because there is a big jump from one to the other. There should be a renaming of the grades which leaves only one senior grade, two intermediate grades and a raft of teams put back to down to junior, possibly create a premier junior grade with the best of that lot.

So wording is important but we are being far too kind giving a whole pile of teams senior status and as a result, Senior A would then be our Premier Intermediate and give a better reflection of the standards in each grades IMO.
This has been suggested a lot, but what people forget is that we have 260 clubs in Cork, more than Kerry, Tipp and Limerick combined. More than the whole of Connacht. As it stands at the end of 2023 there will be 52 clubs in the top 4 grades of cork club hurling/football leaving an already too many 208 clubs at junior level. Shoving another 16 clubs down to junior for the sake of being competitive for a few Munster club games really doesn’t make sense.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in this result either as others have said. Courceys beat Mungret of Limerick and seemed a good bit better than them even though they only won in ET. Courceys are only going up to Senior A whereas Mungret will be playing top tier hurling in Limerick next year. Also, Tipp, Clare and Waterford teams were all behind Courceys this year. Today was 50/50 unlucky to lose. Kanturk as Senior A winners probably would have won well but it’s not worth losing any sleep over in my opinion. We can’t just decide the system is wrong when we lose a game after ET.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

James Ahern

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼