Power Corrupts?

Matlock

After watching "Song for a raggy boy" last night, and bawling my eyes out (even though i had seen it before and knew what was gonna happen) i was wondering do you think that the priests in those institutions who beat and abused children would have been the same in any walk of life or did the power of the position go to their heads.

Is a bully or an abuser born or created?

And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Lord Acton.

People like that are both a product of their environment and of themselves. Unfortunately.

Matlock said:
After watching "Song for a raggy boy" last night, and bawling my eyes out (even though i had seen it before and knew what was gonna happen) i was wondering do you think that the priests in those institutions who beat and abused children would have been the same in any walk of life or did the power of the position go to their heads.

Is a bully or an abuser born or created?

yeah I think the power went to their heads alright. Some priests back then were considered untouchable and people were afraid to stand up to the sick things they did, and a blind eye was turned. Thank God that day is gone

nothingfukall said:
yeah I think the power went to their heads alright. Some priests back then were considered untouchable and people were afraid to stand up to the sick things they did, and a blind eye was turned. Thank God that day is gone

I wonder would the same priests have been a violent to their own children had they been parents rather than priests though?

Probably not.

Although how on earth can any of us surmise?

It can't be purely environmental, as the majority of priests were neither violent nor sexually abusive. So, I think that there must be personal factors within those people previously, but these were heightened due to their positions.

D'oriel said:
And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Lord Acton.

People like that are both a product of their environment and of themselves. Unfortunately.

you know that little american thing people do wherein they quote someone and say the name of the person they are quoting afterward? oh boy how i hate that. see? it's not all roses in the red white and blue garden of my heart.

not that im hating on you d'oriel, it just brought it to mind is all.

"It's not all roses in the red white and blue garden of my heart."
Sanders, Steve, wearing a pink shirt.

That's going to be my new phrase.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

UCC Music Recitals

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼