ParkCide reaches Atlantic Pond

Yesterday we went for a walk, curious to see the new Marina Park.There used to be a very handy Car Park at the Atlantic Pond. Space for about 40 Cars in a little cul de sac causing no delay to traffic.
It has been Culled, Gone. Replaced by a very occasional access road into GAA World, normally sealed off with barriers. So City Halls Pogrom on Parking meets GAA Infrastructure/Land Grab.
I could find no parking at or near this new so called Park. I ended up finding one spot in a packed parking area, quite a distance away at Shandon Boat Club.
I won't be going to Marina Park again, at least not until the Mud Wrestling Season.....

Were you down there for the dogging? Looks like they're trying to discourage it or at least promote some kind of new dogging scene that involves bikes. It's what the young people want DanDan. We must move with the times in all facets of our lives, including how we dog.

Who wants to tell him that the Marina has been pedestrianised now for over a year as an attractive amenity spot?

Poor DanDan wants to pave paradise and put up a parking lot as usual.

Detailed design is underway on the next phase of Marina Park which will see the development of another 60 acres of parkland from the Atlantic Pond to Blackrock pier, leading to the creation of a ‘regional eco park’.

This next phase of Marina Park will include woodland, marshland, meadows and water.

• Ecological trails and resting points will be created through existing forested areas
  • Managed wetlands, including reeds and water gardens will form part of a rich natural landscape
  • A woodland playground will be constructed within the forest
  • Meadowlands will be nurtured through planned maintenance and soil improvements which will enhance their biodiversity.
  • A cultural heritage trail will run through the park including safe public access to the Barrington Folly, the old quay walls, the slipway at Dundanion Castle and the Ice cave.
Public consultation on phase two of the project is due to take place next Spring with construction beginning the following Autumn, subject to planning. Construction will likely take 15 months. Works are scheduled to be completed in Winter 2023.

Marina Promenade: Work is also due to start next year on the upgrade of the nearby Marina which will help integrate Marina Park, the upgraded Passage Railway Greenway with the Docklands and Blackrock Village.

The upgraded Marina Promenade, which was pedestrianised in the past 18 months, will include public lighting, hard and soft landscaping, dedicated pedestrian and cycle spaces, repairs to the quay walls, new seating and bike parking which will further encourage walking, running, and cycling which by providing attractive and safe spaces.

Passage Railway Greenway: Works have been underway since last Spring on the upgrading of the nearby Blackrock-Passage Railway Greenway Phase 1 ( Marina to Mahon). The Blackrock Station heritage footbridge is due to be re-instated across the greenway in the coming weeks. Phase 2 (Mahon to Passage) is currently being designed with construction to commence next year subject to planning consent.

This popular walking and cycling route is generally being widened from 3-5metres, new public lighting installed, an environmental ‘living corridor’ which encourages biodiversity planted and new access ramps from the Marina, Blackrock Rd, Skehard Road and Eden built. Phase 1 of the Blackrock-Passage greenway will fully re-open next summer with Phase 2 works to be complete the following year.

Monahan Road: The Monahan Road Extension will provide access to and facilitate the development of the former Ford Distribution Site which has planning permission for a 1,000 unit+ residential development.

The project will deliver a high-quality link for all road users, including dedicated infrastructure for pedestrians, cyclists and bus users in line with the recommendations of the Cork Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy and the Draft City Development Plan.

Car, traffic, pollution, congestion,drive-thru restaurant and parking lovers are well catered for in Douglas anyway where they can still pursue their 100% car based interests.

You are a Loyal City Hall Supporter Stacky. Anybody would think you were on the Payroll. There is no Parking in your quoted Planlet...... Just like your DampArse Parklets. As it stands, or sprawls, there are vast areas of concrete at the let's face it GAA Park site. Great for Skateboarding and Electric Scooters. Not so great for walking or running really. Also there are Architectural Wet Dreams where kids don't fall off barrier less bridges and where earth and water happily meet without turning to swamp.

Yesterday we went for a walk, curious to see the new Marina Park.There used to be a very handy Car Park at the Atlantic Pond. Space for about 40 Cars in a little cul de sac causing no delay to traffic.
It has been Culled, Gone. Replaced by a very occasional access road into GAA World, normally sealed off with barriers. So City Halls Pogrom on Parking meets GAA Infrastructure/Land Grab.
I could find no parking at or near this new so called Park. I ended up finding one spot in a packed parking area, quite a distance away at Shandon Boat Club.
I won't be going to Marina Park again, at least not until the Mud Wrestling Season.....
Where are you on about, this is my area for strolling?
Was the whole of the marina full, so you parked at the boat club?
I never once have trouble parking close to the stadium.

Dogging on Bikes eh..... So a ReCycling Centre?

@gillabbey I wanted to go to the Atlantic Pond Parking do a walk including taking a look at the new Skate Park and Mud Wrestling Arena. My friend was ahead of me and had searched for parking. He had to go to Shandon Boat Club where almost every spot was occupied. There was no boating or other event. The Marina has no parking. Where do you park next to the Stadium? On the main road? That can't work long term.

In the marina or outside CAB Motor Company. What parking was taken away? It’s all within 10 minutes anyway. Must have parked there a hundred times, never had an issue.

The Marina has no parking. There was a 40-50 space parking area at the Atlantic Pond. It is now gone. Shandon Boat Club Parking is much more than 10 minutes walk away. My story actually happened. If you do not believe it, well, that is a faith based choice, so vaya con dios.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

2nd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Little Known & Mossy & Pebbledash

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼