On the spectrum and not aware?

Read a report where it stated people on the spectrum tend to steer clear of direct social interaction which may seem odd and steer it online? Are some regular contributors here in need and not aware of their condition?

Given the avg age of the PROC, it wouldn't be strange if people were not aware. The advancements in diagnosis are somewhat recent for multiple variations of autism. If it isn't caught as a child, getting it diagnosed as an adult decreases sharply as people don't flag on their GPs radar (or don't go to their GP)

Given the avg age of the PROC, it wouldn't be strange if people were not aware. The advancements in diagnosis are somewhat recent for multiple variations of autism. If it isn't caught as a child, getting it diagnosed as an adult decreases sharply as people don't flag on their GPs radar (or don't go to their GP)
This is true.
I was diagnosed myself after my daughter was diagnosed a few years back. As we were going through the (very slow process!!!) with her, I was checking every box that the docs were flagging as indicators of autism.
I eventually followed up myself and after multiple screenings/interviews/assessments etc was diagnosed myself.

Can’t say much has changed except that a lot of shit in my life makes so much more sense now. I’ve met countless others in the same boat, around the same age as myself who only put 2 and 2 together themselves as their own kids were diagnosed.

I see it as my superpower, ha, it’s why makes me me, and I wouldn’t change a damn thing.

This is true.
I was diagnosed myself after my daughter was diagnosed a few years back. As we were going through the (very slow process!!!) with her, I was checking every box that the docs were flagging as indicators of autism.
I eventually followed up myself and after multiple screenings/interviews/assessments etc was diagnosed myself.

Can’t say much has changed except that a lot of shit in my life makes so much more sense now. I’ve met countless others in the same boat, around the same age as myself who only put 2 and 2 together themselves as their own kids were diagnosed.

I see it as my superpower, ha, it’s why makes me me, and I wouldn’t change a damn thing.
Spoke to a former teacher of mine recently, He is now retired but said if only they knew then what is known now they would have helped so many
kids who were discarded as messers and disruptive,

Spoke to a former teacher of mine recently, He is now retired but said if only they knew then what is known now they would have helped so many
kids who were discarded as messers and disruptive,
I've said the same about a few I was in school with as well - 1 in particular stands out in my mind.

Thankfully, I was never in need of anything extra assistance during my time - was able to cope quite well, and if I'm honest, had my daughter not been diagnosed, I'd probably not be myself - it's been a massive learning experience since though.

I will say, the supports available now are just amazing - my daughters school is top class, so supportive of her, as are the kids in her class - it makes life so so much easier!

I've said the same about a few I was in school with as well - 1 in particular stands out in my mind.

Thankfully, I was never in need of anything extra assistance during my time - was able to cope quite well, and if I'm honest, had my daughter not been diagnosed, I'd probably not be myself - it's been a massive learning experience since though.

I will say, the supports available now are just amazing - my daughters school is top class, so supportive of her, as are the kids in her class - it makes life so so much easier!
My 11 year old lad gets movement breaks during the day,,even a walk around the schoolyard can be a release valve,
Years ago he would have got a clatter and be told he was a waster,

My 11 year old lad gets movement breaks during the day,,even a walk around the schoolyard can be a release valve,
Years ago he would have got a clatter and be told he was a waster,

Same - small little things like that make the world of difference. Our place even has a little room where kids can go for a cup of tea in the morning before heading over to their class - it makes such a difference in the anxiety levels of facing into the day having that 10/15 to wind down and breath.
I'm amazed at her coping skills, even at 9, I'm blown away most days. She's come on so so far this summer in Singapore - completely out of her comfort zone, in a busy city, different foods etc - we were a small bit concerned at how we'd react to it all, but she's been a champ - has been the making of her I think!

It's only small things to 'normals', but you know as well as I do how changes like that can take affect!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Café And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼