Old wives tales..

Can you really get a kidney infection from sitting on a cold wall?
Tea bags will cure a sty?
Going out with wet hair will give you a cold?

Are any of them actually true?

Can Ye remember anymore?

Tea bags will cure a sty. It works like a poultice i believe.

I think the cold in the kidney thing is rubbish though, getting a cold from being out in the rain certainly is.

Yeah most of them just seem like something your mam roared at you to get you to do what you were told.

I've never had a sty but everyone always suggests tea bags for my eye infection yoke have to give it a lash.

Long hot baths can reduce the sperm count.

It is in fact true - the sperm needs to be cool hence the reason the ball sack is hanging out side as against been up in the body.

Tea bags will cure a sty. It works like a poultice i believe.

I think the cold in the kidney thing is rubbish though, getting a cold from being out in the rain certainly is.

A poultice is made by adding soft white bread into a mug of very hot water with salt in it. The bread is then removed and put into say a handkerchief and twisted or something so that you are left with a ball. The handkerchief is then applied to the sore. A boil or something to draw out the poison. Something like that.

Can Ye remember anymore?

I often go to bed with wet hair, and out in the cold etc. I should be dead at this stage if either gave me a virus.

Can Ye remember anymore?

A cold is a virus.
Your wet hair has nothing to do with it.

Though I assume that if you're drenched head to foot, your body would need to use lots of energy to keep you warm, and thus reduce your immunity to other things, so more likely to catch something.
But directly, has nothing to do with it!

If you pull a face and the wind changes direction you'll remain like that forever.
If you let cellophane anywhere near your head it'll find it's way OVER your head and you'll suffocate.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Gerald Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼