Old Cork Photos

Some brilliant photos there FU

Anyone know why the barrels were on the old Youghal Bridge? Was it merely to slow traffic down or was there some underlying issue that required it - like faster traffic causing greater wear and tear on an already deteriorating bridge? 🤷‍♂️
This was to stop heavy traffic using the bridge. A bus would drive to one side and passengers would have to disembark to board another bus on the other side. According to a teacher in primary school Cork & Waterford county council joined forces to get the current bridge built. If I'm not mistaken it sits in County Waterford.

This was to stop heavy traffic using the bridge. A bus would drive to one side and passengers would have to disembark to board another bus on the other side. According to a teacher in primary school Cork & Waterford county council joined forces to get the current bridge built. If I'm not mistaken it sits in County Waterford.

Please tell me it's been blown up in the meantime? Waaaaatardferd has been contaminated beyond saving by it's Leinster neighbours.

Which basically makes them dubs.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

You are not at all mistaken, it is indeed in Waterford.

Thanks for that RB. Yeah it is entirely in Waterford, the border being the smaller bridge before it (on the Cork side) over the river Tourig (sp?) that has the roundabout.

Reminds me of the funny story, alleged to have taken place at a Council meeting discussing Youghal Bridge where one of the Councilors got up and asked what was the hold up in getting it repaired? "Years have passed and nothing been done in repairing a bridge that isn't that long, I could nearly piss half-way across it".
"That's out of order" roared the Cathaoirleach.
"You're right" said the Councilor "If I was in the whole of my health I could piss all the way across it" :D

Please tell me it's been blown up in the meantime? Waaaaatardferd has been contaminated beyond saving by it's Leinster neighbours.

Which basically makes them dubs.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Certainly the wahfud accent has morphed into some wannabee dub wexican/caaaaaaarlow mish-mash. Savages with a taste for baps (steady!) covered in flour.

You are not at all mistaken, it is indeed in Waterford.
Thanks for that RB. Yeah it is entirely in Waterford, the border being the smaller bridge before it (on the Cork side) over the river Tourig (sp?) that has the roundabout.

I've wondered a couple of times about it while crossing the smaller bridge. You would think that the Blackwater would be the natural divide between the two counties given it's sheer size. The Tourig is a small stream by comparison only about 7 km long.

Short video here

Screenshot_20231128_132126_YouTube.jpg
Screen shot from Terence McSweeny funeral looking out front gate of North Chapel...I'm guessing that's the picture in previous post?

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cathal Fitz

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼