Northern Lights

DOB

Lads,

Have any of ye here ever gone to see the Northern Lights?

Would appreciate any feedback. Just looking on-line and Tromso in Norway seems like a good place to go see them?

Lads,

Would appreciate any feedback. Just looking on-line and Tromso in Norway seems like a good place to go see them?

You could see them from the cliffs of moher the other night.

But generally the further north you can go the better chance you have of getting to see them. Also winter is best due to short days .

Saw them in Reykjavik a couple of years ago. We went in late February, which wasn't a bad time to do it: it wasn't too cold and dark but the nights are still long enough that you have half a chance of seeing them.

It's completely a matter of luck, though. We went out on a Northern Lights boat-trip out into the harbour away from the city lights, and barely saw anything - just a grey splodge in the sky. Then, a couple of nights later, we were walking between a bar and a restaurant, happened to glance up, and a major light-show was just kicking off. It lasted 40 minutes and it was fantastic. Tourists were high-fiving each other in the streets, while the locals just strolled by with "dhera, this happens every week" expressions.

I'd advise going somewhere where there's plenty to do anyway, and you might have a chance of seeing them, rather than going on a specific Northern Lights trip where you might wind up disappointed if they didn't show. We were having a great holiday anyway, so seeing the Northern Lights was more an added bonus.

Lads,

Went on a "Northern Lights" tour in Iceland which basically involved getting on a bus with a load of yanks and driving 20 miles outside Reykjavik in the freezing cold to see a dull green blob in the clouds which more than likely was the reflection from the Yoko Ono peace monument back in Reykjavik.

Don't get me wrong, I fuckin love Iceland but unless you're prepared to rent a jeep and drive cross country in the middle of winter then you have to be really lucky to see them in Iceland. They have the same shitty cloud cover as Ireland most of the time.

Maybe investigate Norway more.

I know a friend who went on a tour last week. She's been to Finland, Norway, Sweden and Iceland. And she has seen the Northern Lights on all locations. What a lucky girl.

I went to Belfast once and in the evening went for a walk and the street lights were on, so I have also seen the Northern lights!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼