"No Signal" on monitor

Having odd problems again with my PC. What's next ffs.

On Tuesday (Friday today) the screen went black all of a sudden, saying "No Signal". trying to restart would not get a signal to the screen. I swapped monitors and there was still nothing happening on screen so we put in a different (older) graphics card which seemed to do the trick until the next day when it started happening again.

It didn't just go black and stay dead though. I could restart the PC and get the desktop up. I tried to start Thunderbird to frantically forward some work emails to another email address but it went black again. And then Windows automatically restarted. I did manage to get a couple of emails off after a few tries in this manner.

In the end I moved my HDD into another computer get to back running.

Still trying to figure out what is wrong with the original PC. It's only 2 years old. I have this Ultimate Boot Disk and have run memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic to see if the RAM was faulty but they showed no errors.

Any ideas what else it could be?

I'm not sure if it's related but I have a bigger 21 inch screen since last week. That wouldn't cause anything would it?

Thanks

Check the pins on the connectors for both the monitor and the PC . A damaged pin is another possible issue here, though it looks more like a graphics card issue, as the problem source, seems to be the PC.

Haven't checked back for a few days. Thanks for replies.

We did put another graphics card into it and it started acting up again the next day ie. screen going black.

Will try safe mode and re-installing graphics drivers.

Some monitors have two or more channels in that it can take two inputs. There would be a button or switch to toggle from one to the other. Have you inadvertently hit that button so it cycled to the next input and just displays black as there is no input?

It sounds like it could be something like that. I would definitely try and lay your hands on another monitor and test that before trying anything else with graphics cards etc.

i would guess.
with the new screen you upped the resolution. and your graphics card is running harder.
so it could be overheating and or powersupply.

try removing things you dont need. cd drive etc to cut down on power.
have you added any extra hard drives etc?
once in windows drop the res to the lowest setting that works.
and wait to see if it happens again.

most company built desktops come with the cheapest lowest power supply possable. this can often lead to intermittent issues after an upgrade.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼