Malta

I'm going to be heading there for about 5 days next month.

Some diving is already planned in, but other than that, the standard questions

Where to stay? I'd prefer somewhere with a bit of life and from what I've read, Sliema/St Julian's sounds like the best area for that, so has anyone stayed in hotels there? Is Valetta a write off? Are there any smaller resorts worth considering?

What to do? I'll have at least two unplanned days, so what's the best way to occupy them? Are there sites worth seeing or is the sea the best option? Are Gozo or Comino worth a side trip?

Cheers

Def do the Gozo/Comino thing - not much to do but old churches and a swim in the Blue Lagoon... Was a few years since I went there, not at all 'touristy'

the best diving on the island is definitely off gozo - its absolutely spectacular.. not much marine life, but the whole island is a limestone formation meaning its non stop caves/chimneys/arches etc.

diving is also very reasonable there and there are plenty of wrecks that are very accessible. i sayed in xlendi and dived with a local outfit there - really good guys

gozo is quiet but its an attitude to life thing - def not boring... it also has the club up in the caves which is amazing

i would avoid the mainland completely - its a slightly more upmarket version of santa ponza at this stage full of loud fat british idiots

It's a densely populated place: full of old castles and other medieval defence fortifications. Interesting history: was at the interface of the Ottoman Empire / Christian divide.

No beaches of note: people are friendly: very English sort of place - drive on the left, English type power sockets (no adapters required). Everybody seems to have fluent English - but the speak Maltese among themselves.

I wonder how they managed that - we have been trying for 90 years and have failed miserably

Stayed on Comino where the only building is the hotel but the diving is the draw there, said he who can't swim. Malta was nice. Loads of history. Gozo I wasn't a fan of.

Stayed in Bugibba, St Paul's Bay, which was cheap and cheerful. Got bus then ferry to Gozo for diving around the Azure Window north of Dwejra Bay. Great diving, clear water, was in August.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼