legal question

If a company agrees a price for a one year duration with you - can they then come back and tell you actually it is not that price and increase it?
Do you have to honour the new price if it has been a mistake on their part?

Part of my job is quoting companies for items that may be used on an ongoing basis. Consumables in consigned stock etc.

I have to give a contract end date detailing when the company I work for will have to re-tender for the entire contract or negotiate the new prices with the customer.

During the quoting phase you can say to the customer "The price of certain parts has gone up since we quoted, we may need to take a look at this again" or something but after we agree and put pen to contract paper, it's locked in.

This is on both sides. The customer can't come back and try to hammer you down on the price.

Or, at least, it hasn't happened to me if we/they can.

Have you a signed contract?

If it's a complicated contract with more than one product or service, you might have a separate annex dealing with scope and prices.

If it's a service-dependent contract, there might be stipulations and clauses regarding additional required work unforeseen at the beginning of the contract.

Is there a Force Majeure clause in the contract?

If it's dependent on components costs, then tough titty - they should have had a back to back with their suppliers.

If they fucked up, it's their problem.

If you absolutely need what they're supplying, you could talk about credit notes or discounts for additional work/supplies.

As a last resort you could call around for a heart to heart with a claw hammer.

Whatever it is, I can get it cheaper for you.

This is a fact.

Part of my job is quoting companies for items that may be used on an ongoing basis. Consumables in consigned stock etc.

I have to give a contract end date detailing when the company I work for will have to re-tender for the entire contract or negotiate the new prices with the customer.

During the quoting phase you can say to the customer "The price of certain parts has gone up since we quoted, we may need to take a look at this again" or something but after we agree and put pen to contract paper, it's locked in.

This is on both sides. The customer can't come back and try to hammer you down on the price.

Or, at least, it hasn't happened to me if we/they can.

If there's a written contract they must abide by that contract.

However - read the small print before taking any further action.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼