Kevin Myers on the Surrender of Europe

"as a pioneer journalist in the study of the Irish who served against the Third Reich"

Ah Jesus Christ.
I'll definitely read it later but he's already disappeared up his own arse from the first sentence.

Not really

He is probably the only voice on Irish radio or print when it comes to remembering the Irish who served in the British armed forces during the two world wars.

The first world war in particular.

Deriding an article on the first paragraph is a bit dim. Myers still has most of the Langers forum locked in a vicelike psychological grip.

Not really

He is probably the only voice on Irish radio or print when it comes to remembering the Irish who served in the British armed forces during the two world wars.

The first world war in particular.

Deriding an article on the first paragraph is a bit dim. Myers still has most of the Langers forum locked in a vicelike psychological grip.
Don't have the time to read it properly now, calling yourself a pioneer is a wanky thing to do, no matter the context.

I like and admire Myers. I've had a bit of email correspondence with him over the years. He is a decent person, with a strong moral code and an inability to play the game. He can come across as pompous, and maybe he is, but a lot of us could do with a bit more of his spine. I also think that he is allowed a little latitude for the article regarding his attendance at David Trimble's funeral, given the appalling way he was treated. Not one of us has stood in those shoes.

I like and admire Myers. I've had a bit of email correspondence with him over the years. He is a decent person, with a strong moral code and an inability to play the game. He can come across as pompous, and maybe he is, but a lot of us could do with a bit more of his spine. I also think that he is allowed a little latitude for the article regarding his attendance at David Trimble's funeral, given the appalling way he was treated. Not one of us has stood in those shoes.

Well said.

He's never been afraid to take the unpopular view.

The hatchet job done on him by figures like Fintan O'Toole was disgraceful.
These ass*oles preach tolerance but when the chips were down they were happy to hound the man in a way that could easily have driven him to suicide.

Always enjoyed him on Challenging Times and his stuff on the north was always fearless.

Last edited:

THE LYNCH-MOB VICTIM IS ALIVE AND WELL AND RARING TO GO!​

Five years ago this week, the scum of Irish life set about the destruction of my good name, my financial future and my mental well-being in the most savage lynching in the history of the media in Ireland. The unrelenting orgy of hatred was psychotic in both its venom and its longevity – fully a month – and was precipitated by my public sacking by the Irish edition of The Sunday Times. The mob was too numerous to name individually, but it would be derelict of me not to identify the worst culprits as Audrey Carville of RTE’s Morning Ireland, Jon Williams of RTE News, Fintan O’Toole and Cathy Sheridan of The Irish Times, Gene Kerrigan of The Sunday Independent and Sean Donlon of the Press Council of Ireland.

Between them, they created a caricature of Kevin Myers, a racist, heartless, misogynistic bully whom the hunting-pack of curs then felt authorised to try and destroy, ruthlessly and remorselessly. But even back then, it was clear that by sacking me so brutally The Sunday Times had done enormous damage to its credibility in this country, for the plain people of Ireland knew that the allegations about me were false. The Irish editor Frank Fitzgibbon accepted this, as he was later to admit.

“(W)hen the social media Gods are angry, they demand a sacrifice and that’s what happened….It was causing problems at the highest levels and to close it down, they decided Myers must go. Now. Immediately. And it worked…. but Kevin was very badly done by, by people who claimed he was anti-Semitic of course, because that was just completely, completely and utterly wrong.”

<Cut because Myers is long winded and the PROC doesn't like it>
What?

There was not even the slyest or slightest of personal digs at my expense, five years to the very day that The Irish Times had set about my utter destruction. Yet instead, I am alive, the Irish edition of The Sunday Times is toast, and Seanin’s honest reporting confirms that though the heart of The Irish Times might be thoroughly rotten, in its outer orbit there clearly remain journalists of integrity and decency.

Monday, August 1, 2022, will stand as a landmark day in my life just as much as August 1, 2017, when the sewer rats of Irish journalism set out to destroy me but, as the later day duly attested, would utterly fail. Sooner or later, something will kill me, but it will not be that tawdry mob of cowards, none of whom bothered to attend the funeral of one of the greatest Irishmen of the 20th century. However, their turn will come to be judged at the bar of history, and by God, I look forward to writing their epitaphs, once the smirking hangman has emerged from beneath the trapdoor, having tugged on their twitching heels….
I did eventually get around to reading it.
I regret wasting the time.

I also had another look at that column that got him sacked:
DF-9AEzWsAA1dWa

I don't think he really knows what his actual point is. If I had to boil down his points, they'd be:
The BBC is terrible
Women aren't as good as men
Jews like money

I'd have fired him too for a shit column full of indignant words of smouldering mediocrity.

I did eventually get around to reading it.
I regret wasting the time.

I also had another look at that column that got him sacked:
DF-9AEzWsAA1dWa

I don't think he really knows what his actual point is. If I had to boil down his points, they'd be:
The BBC is terrible
Women aren't as good as men
Jews like money

I'd have fired him too for a shit column full of indignant words of smouldering mediocrity.
Of course, he wrote that out of the goodness of his heart and did not even ask to be paid.

Dog whistle antisemitism and misogyny mixed up in wild generalisations and if everybody only listened to him the BBC could still be like it was in the 1950's and entertaining and great when he was great himself in his short pants while the women stayed at home making his tea all day.

1659963479898.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Ria Lina

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼