John O'Shea Republic of Ireland Football Manager

GIoeL-7XYAAPBbZ

Call ups for Sammie Szmodics, Finn Azaz AND Jake O'Brien.

Quite the selection dilemma up front - a few lads in form to choose from. Of course, it also depends who turns up. Unfortunately, the famine continues in the middle of the park...
Thats the nub of it right there. I dont see any midfielders in our squad at the level we need so the new manager needs to unearth a few which is unlikely, or convert a few which is more likely.

Surely Kelleher has the gloves now?

I'd say it's a fairly close call between the keepers (Baz and Kelleher I mean) - I'd expect they'll get 1 game each over these friendlies.

Good to see Szmodics on board, 27 goals this season for a struggling Blackburn side is impressive. I watched him the other night against Newcastle and he looked quite potent. A small lad (5'6), I'd expect to see him play off Ferguson/Idah if we go 4-4-2, but I assume he can do a job cutting in off the flanks too.

baz/kells
doherty collins o'shea scales
cullen knight
ogbene szmodics johnston
Ferguson

in a 5-3-2 it becomes more difficult to fit in the attacking/form players (i.e. szmodics, ogbene and johnston).

baz/kells
doherty collins obam o'shea scales
ogbene cullen knight
szmodics/smallbone/johnston
Ferguson

I think reverting to a back 4 might make sense though the opposition is pretty decent. That said left back is a problem position which might lean itself towards a 5-3-2.

Why?

Hes second choice and will be dropped once Allison is fit.

Bazunu has shown he has a pair of balls.
Because he's been playing regularly recently at the highest level of all 3 keepers there? I haven't seen most of the Liverpool matches but anything I have seen or read about he is been praised for excellent form

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

UCC Music Recitals

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼