Irish people pretending to be English abroad

It's a daft phenomenon, yes. But I've come across it loads of times. I do it myself at the more elite hotels I stay in; I ABSOLUTELY get taken more seriously.

Anyone else 'guilty' of this?

I've done it a few times for World Cups. Gone about thrashing up the local cafes, pissing on national monuments, terrifying the locals. Y'know, regular enough stuff.

Me. I can pretend to be any white nationality if I see an immediate advantage to doing it.

I have to travel a lot, so I do it if it's easier, because I'm so shit sick of explaining who I am and giving the same old spiel over and over again... I find it easier to play along with a stuck up Brit, dozy yank or brash Aussie routine.

When people learn that you're Irish they automatically expect you to be a friendly, charming, good-craic, party-loving rogue. That gets very tiresome.

Last edited:
Done it once in Malia in Crete a few years back , signs on the doors strictly said no Irish , so we dressed up to give off the impression we were english was giving away then as soon as we got more drink into us hahah , at least we got to see Paul Van Dyk :D

Done it once in Malia in Crete a few years back , signs on the doors strictly said no Irish , so we dressed up to give off the impression we were english was giving away then as soon as we got more drink into us hahah , at least we got to see Paul Van Dyk :D

felixbrent.jpg

Me. I can pretend to be any white nationality if I see an immediate advantage to doing it.

I have to travel a lot, so I do it if it's easier, because I'm so shit sick of explaining who I am and giving the same old spiel over and over again... I find it easier to play along with a stuck up Brit, dozy yank or brash Aussie routine.

When people learn that you're Irish they automatically expect you to be a friendly, charming, good-craic, party-loving rogue. That gets very tiresome.

- Egg-fucking-zactly. They know you're Irish, they think you're an easy-going peasant.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Rostah

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼