Irish Joe Soap and Debt

When, oh when will the Irish Joe Soap learn that their debt is their responsibility. Just saw that interview on the late late with the 2 couples talking about their houses getting repossessed. Now I am not some cold hearted fucker who doesn't feel pity for them, I do! However, there is this constant attitude from the Irish citizen that ultimately results in the individuals blaming everyone but themselves. When a person remortgages their home for an additional €100,000 to "do it up", one has to question not alone why the loan was approved but also why the hell the individuals thought nothing of borrowing such a sum. People talk about the bailing out of banks which hold the monies of the people of the state and how it is morally wrong, yet, they all seem to want their own individual bail outs. If you buy a TV on credit and after 2 months stop repaying the shop, what happens? It gets taken back. Why people can't fathom that you don't get a house for free is just beyond me!

Diar2me.
Like it or not, what you saw tonight on the late late is the tip of a massive iceberg that awaits irish society. If there are three prongs to our current problems, then are only two solutions on the table.

1. Government spending cuts can and will bring the current deficit under control.

2. NAMA is the proposed solution to the banking/toxic debt crisis. It may work.

3. There is no apparent solution yet for the huge number of people who bought houses at massive prices near the peak but have now lost their jobs and can no longer meet repayments or sell their properties.

Now like it or not this is where we are, and you can be sure that these people you sneer at know EXACTLY that their debt is their responsibility. While they are responsible for their own personal actions, they are entitled to feel aggrieved that the government and bankers, through incompetence, greed and averice, stoked the fire in an already overheating property market. Remember, these people aren't property speculators. The majority of these people own only the home they live in. They are entitled to expect the government to regulate the banking sector IN THE INTERESTS OF SOCIETY. To protect people from themselves, if you like. Plenty ordinary people, smart and not-so-smart, now find themselves in this terrible scenario.

So lose the sneer and learn some compassion.

Diar2me.
Like it or not, what you saw tonight on the late late is the tip of a massive iceberg that awaits irish society. If there are three prongs to our current problems, then are only two solutions on the table.

1. Government spending cuts can and will bring the current deficit under control.

3. There is no apparent solution yet for the huge number of people who bought houses at massive prices near the peak but have now lost their jobs and can no longer meet repayments or sell their properties.

Now like it or not this is where we are, and you can be sure that these people you sneer at know EXACTLY that their debt is their responsibility. While they are responsible for their own personal actions, they are entitled to feel aggrieved that the government and bankers, through incompetence, greed and averice, stoked the fire in an already overheating property market. Remember, these people aren't property speculators. The majority of these people own only the home they live in. They are entitled to expect the government to regulate the banking sector IN THE INTERESTS OF SOCIETY. To protect people from themselves, if you like. Plenty ordinary people, smart and not-so-smart, now find themselves in this terrible scenario.

Did you even read my fuckin post you dumwit. I am not sneering at anyone, how dare you even suggest I am. I am just saying that in the absense of their bank being flexible, WHICH MAY I ADD THEY SHOULD, it should come as no surprise that they will lose their home if they can't or don't pay their mortgage. One of the couples tonight bought a house for €270k yet had a mortgage for €380k, because they re mortgaged over a €100k to do the house up. Come on like! It's about time they also looked at themselves and conceded that prob wasn't the wisest of decisions! Me taking this view is not me sneering, it's just I feel we are all adults and have to take responsibility for our actions and that also means that I think bank chiefs should be locked up!

Diar2me.

Property "investors" should have been told to go spin.

They should still be squeezed heavily.

Has anyone considered that allowing the house prices to drop, meaning that the young now, large numbers of whom are out of work, will be able to afford a home might be a good thing.

Did you even read my fuckin post you dumwit. I am not sneering at anyone, how dare you even suggest I am. I am just saying that in the absense of their bank being flexible, WHICH MAY I ADD THEY SHOULD, it should come as no surprise that they will lose their home if they can't or don't pay their mortgage. One of the couples tonight bought a house for €270k yet had a mortgage for €380k, because they re mortgaged over a €100k to do the house up. Come on like! It's about time they also looked at themselves and conceded that prob wasn't the wisest of decisions! Me taking this view is not me sneering, it's just I feel we are all adults and have to take responsibility for our actions and that also means that I think bank chiefs should be locked up!

crazyman039420916.gif

Diar2me.

The deficit is not a problem in the short term but the spending cuts will be. Reducing salaries will also reduce the tax take because most of the cuts would have been taxed at 40%. Plus the strikes that are already happening won't do Ireland's reputation any good internationally. Plus lower consumer spending will mean lower VAT take and overall a shrinking economy.

The deficit is directly attributable to the Government's tax and waste policies over the past decade.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼