Ignition Timing - 1.3 Toyota Petrol

Folks,

1.3 toyota corolla 4E-FE

Anyone know an easy DIY method of determining the optimum position to rotate the Distributor to, in order to increase fuel efficency without reducing power too much.

She's not running great since i changed the timing belt, (belt is correctly fitted, new spark plugs fitted too). Because the new belt is not stretched like an old one, i had to rotate the distributor, (initially no power at all) and i got an improvement but still not as good as it was before belt change.
I know if i advance the timing too much, the engine will begin pinging at high revs.
Thanks

I'm afraid i don't have a timing light.
Belt changed as per manufacturer instructions, i.e. using the marks cut on the crankshaft, cam shaft etc.
All the distributor needs is a tiny little tweak, either rotate it slightly to the left or right... i hope

you need a timing light - the manufactured will tell you you need to line it up with the marks alright but they will also tell you you need a timing light to be held at ten degrees in order to get it bang on. Consult your haynes or look for the BGB online

How exactly do you use one? I wouldnt mind saving myself a few quid and doing it myself next time!

you get your settings from the cars manual and set them on the timing light oMO normally or a certain advance 12Mo perhaps in mine its 10- shine the timing light in the little hole on the cam cover - usually there the manfacturer will either state an angle for the night to be held or if not then straight - you will see a hole in the sprocket if the light shines into the middle of his then job done if its too the front then bring the belt back one tooth if its to the rear then forward one tooth.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 1:45pm

More events ▼