I LOVE North Main Street

I want to know what Cork people love about North and South Main street... Its for a theatre project. It can be a memory, a secret or just a plain old moan. whatever comes into your head... thanks

Tbh, North Main Street is fairly dour imo.

South Main Street is a bit better, I like The Castle Inn and The Oval. Two bars with great character.

I actually like the sort of "poor relation" higgle-dee piggledy nature of it. There are no big brands up there besides Dunnes who are off-street anyway. It's all small shops, barbers, locally owned DIY stores and so on. Leaders and Bradleys typify it. Tony's Bistro is another gem. Around for years and still popular no matter how many hipster joints pop up around it.

You also hear real Cork accents on North Main Street. Walk down Patrick Street these days and you hear so many Cork kids with American accents walking into [insert high street brand name] stores.

It's a pity more isn't made of the laneways. There's some great local history there.

Tbh, North Main Street is fairly dour imo.

South Main Street is a bit better, I like The Castle Inn and The Oval. Two bars with great character.

The South Main st is a bit nothing really. Castle inn on Paradise place is nice as is the Oval further up . But what else is of note on South Main?
Someone mention earlier North main is the only place you hear real Cork accents - what bollix. You hear a fair bit of Urdi , Mandrin, Lingala & Polish there too.

The South Main st is a bit nothing really. Castle inn on Paradise place is nice as is the Oval further up . But what else is of note on South Main?
Someone mention earlier North main is the only place you hear real Cork accents - what bollix. You hear a fair bit of Urdi , Mandrin, Lingala & Polish there too.
I agree with you. The two bars I mentioned are the only places worth talking about for me.

I agree with you. The two bars I mentioned are the only places worth talking about for me.
Not for long m8.

NewBeamishandCrawfordsiteCorkDec14_large.jpg

Tony's Bistro is another gem. Around for years and still popular no matter how many hipster joints pop up around it.

Waited 10 mins for putting an order for food in at the Woolshed, the number of staff outnumbered potential customers. Got p*ssed off waiting and got sorted in Tony's as soon as we got in the door. The staff in the Woolshed were more interested in chatting to each other instead of looking after people.

https://soundcloud.com/fiona-mcgeow...oundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

Here's a link to the track I made about North and South Main street. Hope you enjoy and thanks for all the help

That's nice Theatre Bunny, well done. Didn't realise for a while that it was other people's stuff you were reading out. I thought they were your own memories first but I wasn't sure because of your (nordie?) accent.

My favourite bit is the bit about your man with the hardware shop (Sheehans) near the plaza needing a hug. I'm always in there picking up bits and pieces and he's a real grump!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼