Home Energy Audits

Jimmy the Gent

Thinking of getting one done to identify with a thermal camera where drafts are coming in/ heat leaking out. They seem quite pricey, though - 500 quid!

Has anyone got one done? Do you recommend it? Were decent solutions provided?

Thinking of getting one done to identify with a thermal camera where drafts are coming in/ heat leaking out. They seem quite pricey, though - 500 quid!

Has anyone got one done? Do you recommend it? Were decent solutions provided?

how old is your house and what kind of house is it?

it is only worth getting one done if you are going to do the work required afterwards which can be significant depending on what age and condition your house is. The most important thing here is a bit of perspective being applied - you need a guy with a good understanding of building physics in the round, not some fella who learned to use a thermal camera

how old is your house and what kind of house is it?

It's a 20 year old semi-detached.

it is only worth getting one done if you are going to do the work required afterwards which can be significant depending on what age and condition your house is. The most important thing here is a bit of perspective being applied - you need a guy with a good understanding of building physics in the round, not some fella who learned to use a thermal camera

That's the thing. It's more the solutions that I'm interested in as I have a pretty good idea where the drafts/leaks are. There is an awning above my front door which runs across to my neighbours house. Within that space is an exposed gap of about 2 inches that separates the ground floor and the upper floor. I think that's the source of a draft which runs underneath my upstairs floorboards. That gap also runs across both houses and It's near impossible to get at it without removing the awning.

The kitchen also has a draft coming through. One of the areas I can clearly tell is behind the cupboards under the sink, but I can't see how and where exactly without removing them.

It's a 20 year old semi-detached.

That's the thing. It's more the solutions that I'm interested in as I have a pretty good idea where the drafts/leaks are. There is an awning above my front door which runs across to my neighbours house. Within that space is an exposed gap of about 2 inches that separates the ground floor and the upper floor. I think that's the source of a draft which runs underneath my upstairs floorboards. That gap also runs across both houses and It's near impossible to get at it without removing the awning.

The kitchen also has a draft coming through. One of the areas I can clearly tell is behind the cupboards under the sink, but I can't see how and where exactly without removing them.

the old tried and tested method for draughts is to get a sheet of paper, hold it at the end and drape it across an area you think you have a draught - you will see it fluttering if there is. After that its a case of identifying the sours and thats fairly straight forward since it is a hole somewhere, or something not sealed or sealing properly. To be honest a decent builder would probably be more use to you than one of these audits - for instance the issue at your kitchen units will almost certainly be that the drain from the sink, or the incoming services have not been sealed properly as they come through the external wall or slab, a builder would sort that in 10 minutes - or maybe you fit an external tap off the kitchen sink feed? Often they just drill through and don't bother sealing.

You are probably correct about the issue with upstairs boards as well. You need to understand ho that gap has appeared first, and then its a case of filling it if there are no bigger issues.

the old tried and tested method for draughts is to get a sheet of paper, hold it at the end and drape it across an area you think you have a draught - you will see it fluttering if there is. After that its a case of identifying the sours and thats fairly straight forward since it is a hole somewhere, or something not sealed or sealing properly. To be honest a decent builder would probably be more use to you than one of these audits - for instance the issue at your kitchen units will almost certainly be that the drain from the sink, or the incoming services have not been sealed properly as they come through the external wall or slab, a builder would sort that in 10 minutes - or maybe you fit an external tap off the kitchen sink feed? Often they just drill through and don't bother sealing.

You are probably correct about the issue with upstairs boards as well. You need to understand ho that gap has appeared first, and then its a case of filling it if there are no bigger issues.

Cheers, Honky. The thing is, I've had a couple of guys come to the gaf over the years and they didn't want to go near the awning. It's an awkward job. The gap hasn't just appeared, its part of the build. I was told it was some sort of regulation - can't remember what exactly.

Cheers, Honky. The thing is, I've had a couple of guys come to the gaf over the years and they didn't want to go near the awning. It's an awkward job. The gap hasn't just appeared, its part of the build. I was told it was some sort of regulation - can't remember what exactly.

is the gap an air vent to circulate air through the timber floors between the ground and first floor? Is it a prepared thing with a grille on the front or just a hole?

Either way you do not need a specific source of ventilation into the floor boards there, that only applies to a sprung floor on the ground floor level since it is on prepared ground. I am fairly confident having never been to your house that you could fill that gap with an expanding foam, silicone or mortar depending on the size

is the gap an air vent to circulate air through the timber floors between the ground and first floor?

Exactly.

Is it a prepared thing with a grille on the front or just a hole?

It just has a flimsy hard plastic seal that isn't sealed.

Either way you do not need a specific source of ventilation into the floor boards there, that only applies to a sprung floor on the ground floor level since it is on prepared ground. I am fairly confident having never been to your house that you could fill that gap with an expanding foam, silicone or mortar depending on the size

Yes, but getting full access is an issue. Would need to cut into the awning and temporarily remove it to do so. The added problem is that it runs across both houses. Not sure if by sealing my house, my neighbour's gap will still cause me a problem, if you know what I mean.

Yes, but getting full access is an issue. Would need to cut into the awning and temporarily remove it to do so. The added problem is that it runs across both houses. Not sure if by sealing my house, my neighbour's gap will still cause me a problem, if you know what I mean.

If the floor of your house and your neighbours are not fully separated by the party wall you need to get out of that house pronto as you have a major fire issue! There is almost no chance this is the case by the way, so if you fix your side it would sort the issue. Sounds like you need to just bite the bullet and take the awning down, would your neighbour go halves with you and fix both at once. Finishing the 2 together wont cost much more than doing just the one

If the porch is in ok nick it could be taken down and put back up, if not replacing the timbers with a new structure wont cost too much.

If the floor of your house and your neighbours are not fully separated by the party wall you need to get out of that house pronto as you have a major fire issue! There is almost no chance this is the case by the way, so if you fix your side it would sort the issue. Sounds like you need to just bite the bullet and take the awning down, would your neighbour go halves with you and fix both at once. Finishing the 2 together wont cost much more than doing just the one

That's good to know as I wasn't sure .

If the porch is in ok nick it could be taken down and put back up, if not replacing the timbers with a new structure wont cost too much.

Yeah, you're right. I just need to bite the bullet and take the bloody thing down. It is in good nick.

Cheers for the advice. 👍

That's good to know as I wasn't sure .

Yeah, you're right. I just need to bite the bullet and take the bloody thing down. It is in good nick.

Cheers for the advice. 👍

no bother, best of luck

bear in mind I have never seen your house and its only general advise - get a builder/engineer/architect you can trust to come around and scope the works out, there may be issues I cannot have foreseen there

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼