HD, HD ready? Please explain!

Hiya lads

As Tucker oft said - Odyssey only posts when she needs help for something, and I do.

I'll be buying a new tv soon (old one is on its last legs...it's a huge beast of a thing. truly old.)

Can someone please explain the difference between HD and HD ready? What should I be looking for quality wise, etc?

Ta lads

Ods

Oddles!!

I have no idea of the answer to your question, but have a Christmas kiss anyway.

*mwa*

Matty! :D

Christmas kiss back to you too! Promise I won't try anything funny ;)

I got an unexpected Christmas bonus - so I've an ole itch to spend it now. Really in these times I should just save, eh?

HD Ready is another way of saying "it's not HD but it's getting there"

Below about 39", HD Ready should be fine. Not a great idea to have it on anything above 42", especially if you're ever going to be viewing it up close.

Below 36", there's no real advantage to full HD, it's very difficult for your eyes to pick it up at anything more than a metre away.

So you're no longer a poverty-struck academic?

HD Ready is another way of saying "it's not HD but it's getting there"

Below about 39", HD Ready should be fine. Not a great idea to have it on anything above 42", especially if you're ever going to be viewing it up close.

Below 36", there's no real advantage to full HD, it's very difficult for your eyes to pick it up at anything more than a metre away.

So you're no longer a poverty-struck academic?

Indeedy, I am not. There be actual money in my account - not just numbers with minus signs on em!

On the HD ready, does the quality look crap if you're streaming normal quality digital tv into it (I've got Sky+)?

Indeedy, I am not. There be actual money in my account - not just numbers with minus signs on em!

On the HD ready, does the quality look crap if you're streaming normal quality digital tv into it (I've got Sky+)?

Nah.

To be honest, the HD ready isn't a massive upgrade from standard definition if you're going for 720i.

BBC is transmitted at 576i, 720i isn't much of an upgrade.

Only matters if you:
1. Get a very large TV
2. Plan on sitting with your nose up to the glass of a smaller one.

I have this 26" full HD monitor, and sit pretty close to it. Also have a 14" "HD-ready-type" monitor, which is next to the larger one. Well, the 14" is 1440x1050.

So I don't know about the 'only on a large tv' arg. Although, TV watchers to traditionally sit far away, don't they.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼