Harty Cup 2022/23

Midleton given the nod by most if a Cork team are to challenge for the Harty Cup. However I think it's interesting that Colman's seem to be a more mature and physically stronger outfit. At least 4 of the Midleton team today are under 16 but not one of the Colman's outfit. More from the Cork minors especially Jack Leahy that won the AI play with Midleton which seems to sway the minds of people.

Midleton given the nod by most if a Cork team are to challenge for the Harty Cup. However I think it's interesting that Colman's seem to be a more mature and physically stronger outfit. At least 4 of the Midleton team today are under 16 but not one of the Colman's outfit. More from the Cork minors especially Jack Leahy that won the AI play with Midleton which seems to sway the minds of people.
Missed getting to any game with work. Were you at any game? able to talk about any games and players? What happened and who played well?

HartyCupAbu

Likewise I didn't attend any game due to work but reports are on the Echo and I read those.

Johnny1

According to the Echo report William Buckley wasn't playing but a poster on here stated Buckley is gone from school.

Not one barrs man on any of the 4 teams names.
The William Buckley and ben o Connor side and what went before could be as good as it gets for some time. There is no consistency in the conveyor belt at most big clubs across the city and county. How can a club of Kilcormac killoughney in Offaly produce 7 county minors on the 2022 panel and our big clubs can’t develop 1 player each year good enough for the county set ups. It is mind boggling how poor some of our underage coaching set ups are in clubs. It’s always one crop comes along together in a club and all eggs in that basket and everything else is forgotten about. If clubs want to be serious long term the answer is surely in hiring a coaching officer for the entire underage structure and development of the club for the future. Coaches doing there own things looking after there own sides isn’t bringing any real consistency to a clubs set up. Poor set ups produce poor coaches. Poor coaches produce poor players. Poor players produce poor results. Poor results lead to poor club standards.

Went to the Midleton St Colmans game last Wednesday. I thought it was a fairly lacklustre affair. It only really got going in stoppage time as the echo reported.
During stoppage time Tobin and Leahy exhanged a couple of quality scores which were definitely the highlight of the game.
Leahy was quality throughout the game. He seemed to roam between midfield and half forward and got on loads of ball. Tim Wilks marked Tobin and did a very good job in keeping him quite until Tobins 2 scores in stoppage time.
For Midelton the following didn't play
Tadgh o leary hayes (cork minor 2022)
Adam Rooney (extended cork minor panel 2021)
Cillian Barry and Conor O'Leary (both extended cork minor panel 2022)
Ben walsh (cork minor 2022/2023)
I would think some of these might be starters the next day against Tulla.

The William Buckley and ben o Connor side and what went before could be as good as it gets for some time. There is no consistency in the conveyor belt at most big clubs across the city and county. How can a club of Kilcormac killoughney in Offaly produce 7 county minors on the 2022 panel and our big clubs can’t develop 1 player each year good enough for the county set ups. It is mind boggling how poor some of our underage coaching set ups are in clubs. It’s always one crop comes along together in a club and all eggs in that basket and everything else is forgotten about. If clubs want to be serious long term the answer is surely in hiring a coaching officer for the entire underage structure and development of the club for the future. Coaches doing there own things looking after there own sides isn’t bringing any real consistency to a clubs set up. Poor set ups produce poor coaches. Poor coaches produce poor players. Poor players produce poor results. Poor results lead to poor club standards.
It always comes back to the same old "sur' we have no money for that" crap.

I know of two underage development clubs up the country that are simply financial, emotional and administrative soul sucking black holes for the few volunteers trying to keep them running.

A full time position to develop GAA is looked at as a waste of money. Strange and shortsighted thinking. No underage = no possible success = no cash cow anyway.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Public Service Broadcasting
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

11th Oct 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼