Garda reserves..

Hey blondey.

We have a few reserves where i'm stationed, some are idiots who don't have much of an interest and are only doing it so that they'll have an increased chance of becoming a guard at a later stage.

Others are legendary, we have a retired fireman who is absolutely spot on, hands on and has a really good interest. He does it for the people interaction. Gent.

They use reserves a good bit when matches are on in Croker or the Aviva. They rotate this duty so the reserves aren't completely punked.

Fire away if you've any questions!

well hello legendary Minxy:)

liking the sounds of that fella and yeah its pretty much the same reason why I'm going for it, interview now thursday (how many would usually sit on the panel?) bricking it slightly! and yeah long term application to guards when they do decide to do an intake.. have picked the brains of many guards so far including the uncle so I think I'll be ok..

*crosses fingers*

how are you doing hon?:D

Well, it's not like it's particularly difficult to become a cop as it is.

I shudder to think of the consequences of allowing onto the streets a whole new breed of knuckle dragging rednecks who couldn't make even this rather basic grade..

Well, it's not like it's particularly difficult to become a cop as it is.

I shudder to think of the consequences of allowing onto the streets a whole new breed of knuckle dragging rednecks who couldn't make even this rather basic grade..

really, and do elaborate on this statement, I'd love to hear your rendition of the training regime for the guards..

really, and do elaborate on this statement, I'd love to hear your rendition of the training regime for the guards..
What part would you like me to elaborate on? The entrance requirements are less than that of an entry-level Arts degree (a pass in English, Irish and Maths and 2 other subjects) and the basic course lasts 22 weeks until you're shipped to a working station. Doesn't sound particularly difficult to me..

Hey blondey.

We have a few reserves where i'm stationed, some are idiots who don't have much of an interest and are only doing it so that they'll have an increased chance of becoming a guard at a later stage.

Others are legendary, we have a retired fireman who is absolutely spot on, hands on and has a really good interest. He does it for the people interaction. Gent.

They use reserves a good bit when matches are on in Croker or the Aviva. They rotate this duty so the reserves aren't completely punked.

Fire away if you've any questions!

@Minx_y & Blondi_Y

Just wondering would it effect you say if you were in the reserves and you tried to progree later to the full force, would they rather keep you in the reserves as a way of saying money etc?

Curious

@Minx_y & Blondi_Y

Just wondering would it effect you say if you were in the reserves and you tried to progree later to the full force, would they rather keep you in the reserves as a way of saying money etc?

Curious

Doubtful, Reserves are indeed a stop gap measure to a certain degree with the recruitment freeze at the moment but with the rate of retirements at the moment they are finding themselves low on the ground with numbers.

yes it is a cheaper way for them to keep the numbers up in the community but essentially that is what it is, community work, not a fully trained guard.

the upside of it IMO is that if you are already a reserve and apply for full training they already have an idea of if you'll cut it or not..

What part would you like me to elaborate on? The entrance requirements are less than that of an entry-level Arts degree (a pass in English, Irish and Maths and 2 other subjects) and the basic course lasts 22 weeks until you're shipped to a working station. Doesn't sound particularly difficult to me..

How many actually go in with that level of qualification though?

Every garda I know has some form of post-Leaving Cert qualification. Most have a degree from either a university or IT.

How many actually go in with that level of qualification though?

Every garda I know has some form of post-Leaving Cert qualification. Most have a degree from either a university or IT.

Not the ones I trained with.

Unless you count truck driver, or beautician as a post leaving cert qualification

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stone Drawn Circles

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 1pm

More events ▼