Fundraiser for Statue Of Michael Collins in Patrick’s Street

I wonder will the statue be a target of vandals especially when you consider this is a political statue that supports a particular pro-Fine Gael version of history. Nobody outside of Fine Gael was calling for this statue. Might members of the public remove it?

I wonder will the statue be a target of vandals especially when you consider this is a political statue that supports a particular pro-Fine Gael version of history. Nobody outside of Fine Gael was calling for this statue. Might members of the public remove it?

Is it? I'm far from pro-Fine Gael but a great admirer of Collins, who broke the British stranglehold on my country; was killed before FGers (subsequently) started executing captured former comrades; and before they were goose-stepping around the country wearing blueshirts and giving nazi-salutes.

Collins had his flaws certainly but imho he wouldn't have had anything to do with what that parcel of rogues became.

What went on in the country from 1916 to 1921. Most people continued with their normal lives. Shops were open trade continued with exports and imports. Teachers nurses policemen all civil servants were paid. Bridges were built roads were constructed railways operated. The terrorists were not happy until they had wrecked the country and they were in charge. The violence was unnecessary and Ireland was a poor nation for years. Where did the Irish go in the 2p 30 40 50 s when they had no jobs. That says it all. Collins can be on the history books but leave it that.

What went on in the country from 1916 to 1921. Most people continued with their normal lives. Shops were open trade continued with exports and imports. Teachers nurses policemen all civil servants were paid. Bridges were built roads were constructed railways operated. The terrorists were not happy until they had wrecked the country and they were in charge. The violence was unnecessary and Ireland was a poor nation for years. Where did the Irish go in the 2p 30 40 50 s when they had no jobs. That says it all. Collins can be on the history books but leave it that.

Right - so even after the domineering british were kicked out you think that people like you should still have a say who is and isn't honoured here with a statue. :rolleyes:

You and I know that there will be funding from City Council to finish the project and the taxpayer will in effect be funding a statue for a rutless person who organised assinations.
It a pity that representatives shuch as Mick Barry and Fiona Ryans replacenent Brian McCarthy will not speek out at the waste of public money. Ed Fitzgerald south side hopefull has remained quiet on the issue.

You and I know that there will be funding from City Council to finish the project and the taxpayer will in effect be funding a statue for a rutless person who organised assinations.
It a pity that representatives shuch as Mick Barry and Fiona Ryans replacenent Brian McCarthy will not speek out at the waste of public money. Ed Fitzgerald south side hopefull has remained quiet on the issue.

These islands are festooned with statues erected to commemorate ruthless people many of whom ran organisations that indulged in assassinations. Are you telling us that we Irish shouldn't acclaim people from history who helped achieve freedom for much of this island, but shur all the other statues are fine as they're up now anyway? 🤷‍♂️

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼