Exemption from Gaeilge

Our young fella will be starting secondary school in september, I contacted the secondary school last week
to fill them in on his needs and what help we will hope he gets, The teacher i spoke to asked if he has an exemption from gaeilge?
I said on his diagnosis from seven years ago it recommended an exemption but he does gaeilge in his current school and seems to
enjoy it, The secondary school advised us to sort it now and apply for the exemption, They said they way schools work it is when
the rest of the class are doing gaeilge those students who need extra help are taken out and get the help in that time.
There was a discussion on radio yesterday where somebody from one of the irish language groups called for an end to these exemptions,
One lady said her son is dyslexic and really benefits from the resources, She said if his exemption was to end it would set him back a lot,
Strangely our fella is doing french and enjoys it, he has an interest in languages as his buddies in the estate are from Lithuania so he picks
up phrases from them, But going forward we will be guided by the school, If they say he should not do gaeilge then so be it,
I think 12% of students are now exempt,

Our young fella will be starting secondary school in september, I contacted the secondary school last week
to fill them in on his needs and what help we will hope he gets, The teacher i spoke to asked if he has an exemption from gaeilge?
I said on his diagnosis from seven years ago it recommended an exemption but he does gaeilge in his current school and seems to
enjoy it, The secondary school advised us to sort it now and apply for the exemption, They said they way schools work it is when
the rest of the class are doing gaeilge those students who need extra help are taken out and get the help in that time.
There was a discussion on radio yesterday where somebody from one of the irish language groups called for an end to these exemptions,
One lady said her son is dyslexic and really benefits from the resources, She said if his exemption was to end it would set him back a lot,
Strangely our fella is doing french and enjoys it, he has an interest in languages as his buddies in the estate are from Lithuania so he picks
up phrases from them, But going forward we will be guided by the school, If they say he should not do gaeilge then so be it,
What might be handy is to have the exemption sorted and in his back pocket, and let him take the classes JimmY. The exemption will get him out of the exams if necessary when the time comes. If he's doing well with it he can just drive on

Not sure one size fits all. Maybe your son isn't one of those who struggles with languages (sounds like he isn't), maybe maths is the one. I wish you and your boy well in whatever ye choose.

At least the school are giving options and the system is flexible and accomodating and fair.

Unike the language act in the North where fines or sanctions are likely to be imposed on those refusing to take classin Irish. For adults seeking employment those with irish will be at an advantage.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Easy Company
The Vicarstown Inn, North Main St., Cork

27th Oct 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Sunday Setlist with Mick Grace

Seventy Seven, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼