De Tunnel

Yup, morning is bliss now. Saves 10-15 minutes.
Nightmare leaving little island to go back though.
If you are eastbound in the morning things are back to the way they were before work on the upgrade started.
If you are westbound in the morning things are either the same or worse depending on whether there has been a crash at Bloomfield which have become very frequent because of the increased volumes reaching there in a shorter period in the mornings.

Northbound in the evening wrecks my head as you can be crawling until you get beyond the Mahon Point “corner” and all of a sudden it picks up again. I initially thought it was merging traffic from Mahon Point but then decided it must be uncertainty as to what surprise is around the corner today. But who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

My buddy leaves Bishopstown at about 7.45am and usually is parked up by 8.10 which is brilliant. Coming home in the evening is a bit longer at about 40 minutes because of the 2 into 1 lane reduction towards the tunnel.

Leaving Little Island is a disaster in the evening. The 4 lanes into 1 and general shit driving by far too many make it a bit hairy. Also, Broomfield heading west in the morning seems particularly bad in recent weeks with crashes. Has something changed there?

Leaving Little Island is a disaster in the evening. The 4 lanes into 1 and general shit driving by far too many make it a bit hairy. Also, Broomfield heading west in the morning seems particularly bad in recent weeks with crashes. Has something changed there?
I’d say it’s people looking at the ground zero approach to preserving our “tree canopy” that’s going on on the right hand side of the road at the moment. That and general stupidity.

Can't find the tweet but The Green's Oliver Moron commenting on the Dunkettle Interchange commented that it was spending over 100 million to get rid of one set of traffic lights.

Don't use the Tunnel at peak times myself but my pal who lives down near there reckons it's improved matters. Though he says when he first used it after the grand opening he found himself on the road to Midleton instead of Dublin. It'll take getting used to I guess.

Can't find the tweet but The Green's Oliver Moron commenting on the Dunkettle Interchange commented that it was spending over 100 million to get rid of one set of traffic lights.

Don't use the Tunnel at peak times myself but my pal who lives down near there reckons it's improved matters. Though he says when he first used it after the grand opening he found himself on the road to Midleton instead of Dublin. It'll take getting used to I guess.

The project cost approx €215 million.
That is a lot of money.

Things have improved somewhat, but it isn't the magic bullet and perhaps it's dawning on people, the slow learners among us that you can't build (add extra lanes) your way out of traffic congestion, you need other means.
The biggest of which is a reallocation of funds to things like BusConnects, Cork LUAS, and Active travel measures to build bike lanes.

Cork is far too car-dependent, and we need a model and mindset. We need to embrace things like BusConnects, not try and sabotage it at every opportunity.

The traffic on that stretch of road is caused by people braking hard approaching the N40 bend just after the last Douglas/Well Road exit (just before the Rochestown exit heading eastbound). People are idiots and scared shitless because it’s a blind bend. After you turn the bend, traffic disappears and doesn’t build up again until you hit the Mahon exit.
1707993979489.png
It’s terrible road design that dates back to the 1990s.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 1:45pm

More events ▼