De Irish Times 'all men are bastards' thread

It's based on a very stupid comment by Jann Wenner.

Instead, Wenner unwittingly showed the music industry’s not-so-hidden dark side when he was asked about why, in the book’s introduction, “you acknowledge that performers of colour and women performers are just not in your zeitgeist”. Wenner replied that “insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level”, while black musicians “just didn’t articulate at that level” of master.

She is writing about the hiarachy on music (particularly rock music) that places straight white males above everyone else.

Most people would take issue with Mr Wenner's comments, but because this is the proc, most of the comment will have to be of the "poor white men being picked on again" variety.

Hierarchy.

His area of interest is rock music, so his focus on the biggest and most influential practitioners of that musical genre should come as no surprise, he didn't deny the debt that rock owes to blues music afaik.

The fact is that the giants of rock music are mostly white men, the likes of Dylan, Lennon, McCartney, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Chris De Burgh, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Van Morrison, Morrissey etc.

Facts are stubborn things.
This was his quote
"Wenner replied that “insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level”, while black musicians “just didn’t articulate at that level” of master."

The fact that most of the giants of rock music are mostly white men is not being debated. His comment is what is being debated.

Do you think that is a reasonable thing to say?

His area of interest is rock music, so his focus on the biggest and most influential practitioners of that musical genre should come as no surprise, he didn't deny the debt that rock owes to blues music afaik.

The fact is that the giants of rock music are mostly white men, the likes of Dylan, Lennon, McCartney, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Chris De Burgh, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Van Morrison, Morrissey etc.

Facts are stubborn things.
How the jaysus did Chris De Burgh find his way into that list?!

This was his quote
"Wenner replied that “insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level”, while black musicians “just didn’t articulate at that level” of master."

The fact that most of the giants of rock music are mostly white men is not being debated. His comment is what is being debated.

Do you think that is a reasonable thing to say?
I don't know about you but I was debating the shrill and hysterical article in the Irish Times, there are no female Bob Dylans out there who we are denied hearing because of bad white men holding women back, also, the writer drones on about women playing bass guitar because it was an easy instrument to play, that fact exists only 'in her head'.

She got an article published based on the outrage caused by Wenner's comments, so he did her a favour with his off colour remarks.

So that makes it ok for him to make a racist and sexist comment without rebuke?
Not okay, I just make allowances for auld farts from a different era (Soundy as an example 😂). I certainly wouldn't been wasting column inches on him but then again, I'm not perma outraged by silly things.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Coldplace - The World's Leading Coldplay Tribute
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

20th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

James Keegan

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼