DanDan FitzGerald for IMRO Board

I have been nominated to try for a seat on the IMRO Board. Rather than simple fame, I wish to bring the following Agenda to that table.

DD

Airplay -
In 2001, FairPlay estimated local content on Irish Airwaves at a mere 1%. Thankfully we saw a later 3%. This seems absurdly low. The EU directive is 35% EU Content. If enforced even just a little this could greatly benefit us, the only English speaking country. 30%- 40% Local Content is mandatory in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Malaysia, South Korea, Chile, Argentina and Brazil, Hungary, France, Latvia, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. Even countries without mandatory laws e.g. Greece and Germany, voluntarily play 40% Local. I would like to see IMRO actively lobbying for such here, with perhaps a long term active lobbyist, ahem, on the board.

Eirplay- A FaceBook page started by myself and Louise Nic Cormaic, which I maintain to help Self Releasing of Recordings.
We have a verified extensive list of email addresses of all ROI Radio. From experience in Mastering we recommend best File Formats, Levels, and Distribution methods, IMRO Members are welcome to this free service. Eirplay could easily be folded into IMRO.

Royalty Rates - During Covid Airplay rates plummetted due to a presumed lack of advertising revenue. But Radio Listenership and Advertising, including Gov Infomercials, rocketed. Rates did not appear to recover pro rata. I would like to see a review with the hope of systemic improvement.

Organisations representing us - I count at least 16. Divided we fall.

Acoustics and Noise Control-
Modern interior finishes are well suited to hygiene and practicality, but are typically hard and harsh sounding. This noisy environment causes stress, and even Hearing Damage. In my practice at irishacoustics.com I try to help. I encourage IMRO to become active in this area.
FYI I recommend Etymotic ER20 Earplugs. Also the free NIOSH Sound Meter App for iOS.

Quality - I believe enhanced quality of our Recordings will result in more Airplay. At the moment everybody is learning from scratch, no apprenticeship, just glossy magazines. There is a small cohort of, ahem, legendary Engineers and Producers, very likely available, whose experince and expertise could perhaps be shared and preserved in an IMRO 'AskAPro' mentoring facility.

Who's In?
Writer, Arranger, Sampler, Engineer, Producer, DJ, Player. Which ones are Artists?
IMRO already includes Arrangers. I encourage inclusion of Producers and Engineers.

Live and Original Music - The IMRO Live music licence costs a multiple of the TV/Radio/Background one. This discourages pubs and other venues from running Live Music Small venues are the beating heart of living music. Most are not profitable. This is where new talent begins. I believe they deserve a at least a level licencing playing field with Sports and DJs. Especially venues promoting Original Music, who surely deserve specific extra help

Archives- I have been so lucky to work with some legends which are sadly no longer with us. Noel Brasil, Thom Moore, Fergus O'Farrell. It is already difficult to find their songs. I would like to investigate the possibility of an Archive with IMRO and The National Archives.

DanDan FitzGerald MAES MIOA
www.soundsound.ie
www.irishacoustics.com

I have been nominated to try for a seat on the IMRO Board. Rather than simple fame, I wish to bring the following Agenda to that table.

DD

Airplay -
In 2001, FairPlay estimated local content on Irish Airwaves at a mere 1%. Thankfully we saw a later 3%. This seems absurdly low. The EU directive is 35% EU Content. If enforced even just a little this could greatly benefit us, the only English speaking country. 30%- 40% Local Content is mandatory in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Malaysia, South Korea, Chile, Argentina and Brazil, Hungary, France, Latvia, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. Even countries without mandatory laws e.g. Greece and Germany, voluntarily play 40% Local. I would like to see IMRO actively lobbying for such here, with perhaps a long term active lobbyist, ahem, on the board.

Eirplay- A FaceBook page started by myself and Louise Nic Cormaic, which I maintain to help Self Releasing of Recordings.
We have a verified extensive list of email addresses of all ROI Radio. From experience in Mastering we recommend best File Formats, Levels, and Distribution methods, IMRO Members are welcome to this free service. Eirplay could easily be folded into IMRO.

Royalty Rates - During Covid Airplay rates plummetted due to a presumed lack of advertising revenue. But Radio Listenership and Advertising, including Gov Infomercials, rocketed. Rates did not appear to recover pro rata. I would like to see a review with the hope of systemic improvement.

Organisations representing us - I count at least 16. Divided we fall.

Acoustics and Noise Control-
Modern interior finishes are well suited to hygiene and practicality, but are typically hard and harsh sounding. This noisy environment causes stress, and even Hearing Damage. In my practice at irishacoustics.com I try to help. I encourage IMRO to become active in this area.
FYI I recommend Etymotic ER20 Earplugs. Also the free NIOSH Sound Meter App for iOS.

Quality - I believe enhanced quality of our Recordings will result in more Airplay. At the moment everybody is learning from scratch, no apprenticeship, just glossy magazines. There is a small cohort of, ahem, legendary Engineers and Producers, very likely available, whose experince and expertise could perhaps be shared and preserved in an IMRO 'AskAPro' mentoring facility.

Who's In?
Writer, Arranger, Sampler, Engineer, Producer, DJ, Player. Which ones are Artists?
IMRO already includes Arrangers. I encourage inclusion of Producers and Engineers.

Live and Original Music - The IMRO Live music licence costs a multiple of the TV/Radio/Background one. This discourages pubs and other venues from running Live Music Small venues are the beating heart of living music. Most are not profitable. This is where new talent begins. I believe they deserve a at least a level licencing playing field with Sports and DJs. Especially venues promoting Original Music, who surely deserve specific extra help

Archives- I have been so lucky to work with some legends which are sadly no longer with us. Noel Brasil, Thom Moore, Fergus O'Farrell. It is already difficult to find their songs. I would like to investigate the possibility of an Archive with IMRO and The National Archives.

DanDan FitzGerald MAES MIOA
www.soundsound.ie
www.irishacoustics.com
How many Greek or German acts achieve worldwide fame compared to a small island like Ireland?

Both pop/rock and traditional Irish music etc is very popular across the globe as well as being highly influential and respected and we do not need a French style system of cultural exclusivity which is counter productive .

Music grows organically and if it is any good and people like it the it will always find an audience and Ireland is to small for some Celtic twilight mono culture.

More importantly the kids streaming and finding new music will run a kilometer as radio is dead to them now.

😂😂 Is this the second time you trying?

maybe-take-a-hint-tyler-oakley.gif

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Beth Orton
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Maicn

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼